Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Make Siri stop saying “increase volume” when I use + volume.

Somehow I set my HomePod to speak the buttons that I press on top of it.

So when I Press the plus button, Siri says “increase volume“ very fast. It is incredibly annoying and I cannot figure out how to turn it off.

I thought it was a bug, it seems so completely useless.

Why is the HomePod doing this and how do I make it stop?

HomePod mini

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 12:10 PM

Try "Hey Siri, VoiceOver off".

If that hasn't helped it may help to turn VoiceOver on and then off again, either using Siri or via Home app > HomePod > Settings > Accessibility > VoiceOver. If the HomePod clicks and says things when you touch the display that suggests VoiceOver is active. It happened to me without asking following an update, and I've seen others posting about similar issues.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 12:10 PM in response to razzler

Try "Hey Siri, VoiceOver off".

If that hasn't helped it may help to turn VoiceOver on and then off again, either using Siri or via Home app > HomePod > Settings > Accessibility > VoiceOver. If the HomePod clicks and says things when you touch the display that suggests VoiceOver is active. It happened to me without asking following an update, and I've seen others posting about similar issues.

tt2

Nov 4, 2021 1:41 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you, I used "Hey Siri, VoiceOver off" and it fixed it.

I believe this was a bug because we don't remember turning this on. I've had a HomePod since it was released and its never happened by accident before.

I checked the HomePod settings and I'm pretty sure it was set to off. I am aware of VoiceOver, but it did sound weird. What we noticed was:

+ and - on the HomePod made it say the phrase, very fast, and it sounded kind of weird, possibly there was a click. But more importantly, it didn't seem to adjust the volume. We had to use the adjustment on the iPhone.

Last night I tried updating to 15.1.1 or whatever the newest point release was thinking that might fix it but that did not change it.

Thanks for the reply, tt2 and for validating that this is possibly something wrong.

Make Siri stop saying “increase volume” when I use + volume.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.