Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Monterey / notifications - no sound

Since I have upgraded to macOS Monterey (and iOS 15.1) I no longer get a notification sound on the Mac when I receive a text message, the iPhone still has the sound. I've reviewed the Notifications settings and they're the same as I was using in Big Sur. The 3 options under Focus are turned off. I've included a screenshot of my settings.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 3:14 PM

Hi, I had the same issue and am not sure if this would work for you.

There are the sound effect settings in the Sound panel - preferences>sound>sound effects

My sounds were coming through another specific device, so went in and changed it to - Selected sound output device -

See the below:

That seems to have fixed it for me, again could be a separate issue but I have never had to come onto the sound effects page before.

Only realised when doing notification tests with slack.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2021 3:14 PM in response to diparsons

Hi, I had the same issue and am not sure if this would work for you.

There are the sound effect settings in the Sound panel - preferences>sound>sound effects

My sounds were coming through another specific device, so went in and changed it to - Selected sound output device -

See the below:

That seems to have fixed it for me, again could be a separate issue but I have never had to come onto the sound effects page before.

Only realised when doing notification tests with slack.

Nov 5, 2021 12:14 PM in response to diparsons

Hi diparsons,

In macOS Monterey, there's no sound notification when receiving messages. We suggest turning off "Allow Notifications" for Messages app, restarting the Mac, and then turning on "Allow Notifications" for Messages app.

If that doesn't make a difference, test in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac. If the issue is resolved in safe mode, restart normally to ensure its resolved there as well.

Take care.

Nov 7, 2021 6:29 AM in response to diparsons

Hey diparsons,

In order to determine whether this is user account specific or system-wide, test in a different user account. If you do not have one, create an administrator one by following the steps here: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac.

If you continue to experience the issue in a different user account, we recommend contacting Apple: Get Support.

Best Wishes.

macOS Monterey / notifications - no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.