Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I save videos from my desktop to the Photos app

I am not used to the Mac operating system. I am unable to drag a video from my desktop into the videos folder on my Photos app. How do I save videos to the Photos app? (I am using OS 11.6.)

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 1:46 PM

You said you were importing from the desktop - but you seem to be trying to import from a library. If the files are on the desktop, you need to locate them on the desktop in the file browser.

If you want to transfer from another library, you cannot import from another photos library, and you cannot import another library - you would have to first export them from the source library to a folder.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2021 1:46 PM in response to PCK1117

You said you were importing from the desktop - but you seem to be trying to import from a library. If the files are on the desktop, you need to locate them on the desktop in the file browser.

If you want to transfer from another library, you cannot import from another photos library, and you cannot import another library - you would have to first export them from the source library to a folder.

Nov 5, 2021 9:09 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks, but that doesn't work. I went to the Photos app, file/import/pictures/Photos Library, but Photos Library isn't an option. It's listed, but is not highlighted ... I can't select it. (When I use Finder and follow the path Pictures/Photo Library the Photo Library can be selected, but I'm unable to open it to view any of its content.) I simply am unable to open my Photos Library. Any thoughts? Thanks

How do I save videos from my desktop to the Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.