Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I use semicolon as the default list separator in my Mac's Excel?

After decades using semicolon, I am too used to it (and too old) to change. In my Windows device, I always configure the "List Separator" to ";" so I can enter formulas like this:

=TEXT(H5 ; "0.000")

I just can't find a way to do that in my Mac's system preferences, nor Excel for Mac's preferences. Someone mentioned that the only way to be able to use semicolon as list separator is by setting comma as the default character for decimal point. If that is true, some product manager at Apple needs to be tested for drugs...

Any thoughts? Please help.

Thanks

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 3:23 PM

3 replies

Nov 5, 2021 3:32 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thanks. I also asked there, but excel power users mostly use Windows, so I was hopeful someone in the Mac community had a solution (I strongly prefer using my Mac, but I am still learning how to use and configure MacOS).

BTW, while my main interest is for Excel, the same problem happens in Numbers, as both apps seem to use only the OS's regional settings.

How can I use semicolon as the default list separator in my Mac's Excel?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.