Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore my MacBook Pro from a Time Machine Backup

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 6:12 PM

Hi DougMaine,

It depends on your scenario:

If you're importing your backup contents onto a new Mac, or if your Mac is running macOS Big Sur or later: Erase your Mac, then transfer your content when prompted in the Setup Assistant.

If you're restoring your backup contents to the same Intel-based Mac that made the backup, and that Intel-based Mac is running macOS Catalina or later:

1. Start up from macOS Recovery: Hold down Command-R as you power on or restart your Mac. Release the keys when the Apple logo and a progress bar appear.
  2. If prompted to enter an administrator password, do so to continue.
  3. When the macOS Utilities window appears, select Restore from Time Machine and follow the onscreen instructions.

NOTE: Macs with Apple silicon cannot run macOS Catalina or earlier, and should use the first section above.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 6:12 PM in response to DougMaine

Hi DougMaine,

It depends on your scenario:

If you're importing your backup contents onto a new Mac, or if your Mac is running macOS Big Sur or later: Erase your Mac, then transfer your content when prompted in the Setup Assistant.

If you're restoring your backup contents to the same Intel-based Mac that made the backup, and that Intel-based Mac is running macOS Catalina or later:

1. Start up from macOS Recovery: Hold down Command-R as you power on or restart your Mac. Release the keys when the Apple logo and a progress bar appear.
  2. If prompted to enter an administrator password, do so to continue.
  3. When the macOS Utilities window appears, select Restore from Time Machine and follow the onscreen instructions.

NOTE: Macs with Apple silicon cannot run macOS Catalina or earlier, and should use the first section above.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.