Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am attempting to use a Synology DS 220 NAS for my Time Machine backup drive but not successful with the above recommendations. Please advise. Thanks.

I am unable to create a file for sharing in order to use it for Time Machine backup. I just upgraded to iOS Monterey but still ran into the same problem. When I go to System Preferences then to File Sharing, Shared Folders and try to add a file on my NAS, it does not show up on the Shared Folders list. Thanks.

MacBook, macOS 11.5

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 7:49 PM

You do not use macOS "Sharing" preferences to create a shared folder on the NAS. The macOS "Sharing" System Preferences is only meant to allow items on your macOS computer to be shared out to other users and/or devices on the network.

You need to create a folder on the NAS itself and configure the NAS to allow for TM backups. Consult the Synology User Guide on how to configure the NAS to work with TM. Once you have the Synology properly configured to accept TM backups, then you just need to use the TM app on macOS to point to the network share on the NAS as the backup destination.

Edit: You should never upgrade to a completely new OS to solve a problem unless you have been told by the hardware vendor or software developer that doing so will definitely solve a known issue. A brand new OS is usually likely to have all sorts of compatibility issues especially within the first few months after release. Upgrading to a new OS (especially a recently released OS) will usually just make things more difficult & complicated. It is best to sort things out on the current OS first.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 7:49 PM in response to mtr2311

You do not use macOS "Sharing" preferences to create a shared folder on the NAS. The macOS "Sharing" System Preferences is only meant to allow items on your macOS computer to be shared out to other users and/or devices on the network.

You need to create a folder on the NAS itself and configure the NAS to allow for TM backups. Consult the Synology User Guide on how to configure the NAS to work with TM. Once you have the Synology properly configured to accept TM backups, then you just need to use the TM app on macOS to point to the network share on the NAS as the backup destination.

Edit: You should never upgrade to a completely new OS to solve a problem unless you have been told by the hardware vendor or software developer that doing so will definitely solve a known issue. A brand new OS is usually likely to have all sorts of compatibility issues especially within the first few months after release. Upgrading to a new OS (especially a recently released OS) will usually just make things more difficult & complicated. It is best to sort things out on the current OS first.

I am attempting to use a Synology DS 220 NAS for my Time Machine backup drive but not successful with the above recommendations. Please advise. Thanks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.