Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrade to MacOS Monterey, Photos will not load -- stuck on "Restoring"

Upgraded my M1 MacBook Pro (2020) to Monterey last weekend, and now I can't access my photos. When I load the Photos app, it says "Restoring..." with a progress bar. I left it for 6 hours the other day, and the progress bar never moved from 0%.

I'm using a very normal/vanilla iCloud photos setup -- we all have iOS devices, my photo library on the Mac is not stored on an external or anything like that (which is what a lot of the topics I find involve). It's all very default/out of the box. The hard drive on my MacBook Pro has hundreds of GBs of free space.

How do I fix this?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 7:52 AM

After nearly two full days of "Restoring" sitting at 0%...I gave up. I rebooted the computer (for a different reason, but not the first time since this all started), and didn't touch Photos for awhile. When I opened up Photos again...all my photos were there. So the problem fixed itself.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2021 7:52 AM in response to Lee_ms

After nearly two full days of "Restoring" sitting at 0%...I gave up. I rebooted the computer (for a different reason, but not the first time since this all started), and didn't touch Photos for awhile. When I opened up Photos again...all my photos were there. So the problem fixed itself.

Nov 6, 2021 9:26 AM in response to rogersmj1

Hi rogersmj1,

We see you are trying to restore your photos from iCloud to your Mac. Although you didn't see any progress during those first 6 hours, it could still be working to restore your content. I can take quite a while for this process to begin and finish. It will depend on how many photos you have, whether the application is running or not and your internet connection.

If you can confirm that the photos are in your iCloud storage by seeing them on another device or on iCloud website from a computer, we'd recommend trying the process again. You can learn how to get photos setup on your Mac here: Set up and use iCloud Photos

Take care.

Nov 7, 2021 7:43 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Wow, that's a long time for a 50GB library. Mine is around 350GB; after 6 hours I would have expected to see *some* progress, I'm on a really fast fiber connection and I can easily download 500GB in an hour if the source supports it.

I just have never run into this problem on any prior OS upgrades, so I'm still a bit worried something is wrong. But I will leave it open for a day or so and see if it gets anywhere.

After upgrade to MacOS Monterey, Photos will not load -- stuck on "Restoring"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.