Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated Monterey 12.5.1 will not open my older Photo Library and will not Migrate either. Space problem

To save space, it was suggested to merge my photo libraries to eliminate duplicates and make space. I downloaded a 3rd party app called Power Photos, which wouldn't run until I updated OS. After updating the OS to 12.5.1, my MacBook Air wouldn't run the older photo library. As it asked to update the file, it ran into a space problem...which is why I began the whole process. Now I'm stuck. Can't open the library, can't run the program to merge, can't Un-Update the computer. Any help would be appreciated. My first inclination was to purchase another SSD 1T card, copy the file here, update it... then move on. Is there an easier route?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 4, 2022 12:45 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 4, 2022 4:03 PM in response to Havaspfx

Just how much older were your OS and your photo libraries before you updated to 12.5.1? Sounds like you may have been dealing with libraries from the old iPhoto days and a fairly old OS.

Frankly, moving the photo libraries to an external (SSD or even HD) and updating them there may be the simplest way, if not the cheapest or easiest.

Sep 5, 2022 2:10 PM in response to Old Toad

purchased 2Tb WD Passport for Mac, (it's all they had on the shelf...not impressed) and it hasn't worked yet. In the meantime, i did what you said to try, and it's stuck on 7% for 60 minutes... I'll let you know what happens. Last time I tried Updating/repairing the file...it stopped at 38% said there was not enough space available to Migrate the contents (800Gb file on a 1Tb external Samsung SSD external ...or whatever, that's why i purchased the 2Tb external, to copy the file over and try the repair. I'm loosing focus and confidence.

Updated Monterey 12.5.1 will not open my older Photo Library and will not Migrate either. Space problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.