Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2015 iMac very slow - is it time to erase and install?

Hi all,

My iMac is incredibly slow and I can't figure out why. Here is my report from EtreCheck, but it's not reporting any major issues. Is it time to erase and install just to see if that helps? this is my backup mac so I could invest the time. Every app takes at least 30 seconds to a minute to open at first. And my Creative Cloud apps have to verify FOREVER to start up. For a graphic designer, it's maddening. Help!

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 7:34 AM

It’s possible your Fusion Drive is failing. Please use DriveDx to check the health and upload the reports.

7 replies

Nov 5, 2021 8:37 AM in response to kuranga

If you turn on Full Drive Access we may be able to see what this is:

Top Processes Snapshot by CPU:

Process (count) CPU (Source - Location)

Other processes 70.73 % (?)

Mail 31.05 % (Apple)

photoanalysisd 12.79 % (Apple)

EtreCheck 9.89 % (App Store)

Something is hogging resources and that is easier to find with full Drive Access enabled.

Instructions for enabling FDA in EtreCheck are under "More Help" in Etrecheck's Help menu:

If you can stop whatever process "Other" is, your drive scores may improve.

Nov 5, 2021 8:39 AM in response to kuranga

+1 I agree the Fusion drive may be failing. Please restart in the Recovery Partition (hold down Command + R on startup) and open Disk Utility. Then run First Aid 2-3 times and carefully look over each report. If ANY errors appear that only confirms our guess. However you get use the app Jack suggests or (what I'd recommend) take the computer to your local AASP to be professionally diagnosed.

Nov 5, 2021 9:19 AM in response to kuranga

Rather than spending a fortune on a 6 (almost 7) year old device. I would recommend getting an external SSD and using that rather than the course you are considering. You can take it to an independent AASP and they can assist or if you are somewhat technical you can do it yourself. This will be MUCH less expensive and considerably quicker.

2015 iMac very slow - is it time to erase and install?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.