Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search not working in Monterey

Having first thought it was an issue with Office products and not being able to search one drive, Outlook, etc it became clear it was not limited to those folders.

In finder or within an application it will only search "this Mac" if you move to any other folder including documents it finds no results. No folder is in the spotlight "privacy" setting that would prevent it from indexing and being searched via spotlight or within finer.

This is on a brand new MacBook Pro shipped end of Oct.

Anyone have a fix?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 6:46 AM

toddwhitlock wrote:

Having first thought it was an issue with Office products and not being able to search one drive, Outlook, etc it became clear it was not limited to those folders.

In finder or within an application it will only search "this Mac" if you move to any other folder including documents it finds no results. No folder is in the spotlight "privacy" setting that would prevent it from indexing and being searched via spotlight or within finer.

Anyone have a fix?

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

110 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2021 6:46 AM in response to toddwhitlock

toddwhitlock wrote:

Anyone have a fix?

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Jan 21, 2022 7:35 PM in response to DeborahMagid

Aaaand I found this, which appears to be working:

https://nektony.com/how-to/rebuild-spotlight-index#reindex_spotlight_with_terminal

Copy and paste the following command into the Terminal window and click the Return key.

sudo mdutil -i on /

the answer was:

Indexing enabled. 

I rebooted, leaving Terminal running, and got

The default interactive shell is now zsh.

To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.

For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.

I hit command-spacebar and tried a search, and the "Indexing" bar is now active, for the first time since I started trying to get this to work.

As to whether I can search strings, I'll find out after the indexing is completed. But at least it's re-indexing now.

Dec 16, 2021 8:07 AM in response to toddwhitlock

I had the issue and was able to resolve with a refresh of Spotlight. The steps are:

• Open system preferences
  • Select Spotlight
  • Click on Privacy
  • Click the + sign
  • Navigate to and select the "Macintosh HD"
  • Close system preferences
  • Then reopen system preferences
  • Select Spotlight
  • Click on Privacy
  • Click the - sign
  • Select "Macintosh HD"

This will begin a reindex of the entire machine and should restore your email search in Outlook. This may take a bit to complete, but should resolve the problem. Don't expect immediate results - this may take several hours before it is fully indexed.

I personally have a new 14" M1 Max MacBook Pro and some recent emails were available in search right away. The rest took about an hour to be available. Hope this helps!

Nov 24, 2021 4:00 AM in response to VikingOSX

I encountered a similar problem, maybe it is related.

After updating to Monterey my finder search actions does not activate the text input field for entering the search criteria. I have to manually click the field in order to enter some text. Then I found that that is not the case when you have the desktop as your selected location (just click on your desktop to deselect the active window). Then finder will search in the top most (opened but inactive) window and activate the search input field. I can not believe that that is the intended mode of operation, so I think we need to hope for a swift update.

Nov 27, 2021 11:42 AM in response to toddwhitlock

I have a similar problem on my MacBook Pro, 16-inch, 2019. For a long time I have used the "Search the Current Folder" setting in Finder. Now, I recently upgraded from Catalina to Monterey. The upgrade went smoothly on my machine. Ever since the upgrade Finder gives me all the results on this Mac... even though I have "Search the Current Folder" selected in Finder, Preferences. I have switched back and forth from search "This Mac" to "Current Folder"... and I get the same results in all folders on my Mac. I also rebuilt the file Index in System Preferences, Spotlight. No change. I am still looking for a way to fix this, and hoping Apple has a solution.

Nov 29, 2021 2:24 AM in response to toddwhitlock

I had the issue that when I searched in the finder (cmd F) the input field didn't activate in the active window. But when I clicked on the desktop, then that search field was active and the search was focussed on the top most (inactive) window.

It turned out the issue was caused by the (in the past) altered toolbar. When I reset the toolbar, all was fixed. Maybe that's the solution for all of you as well.

Dec 5, 2021 2:13 PM in response to toddwhitlock

I have a similar problem. Brand new MacBook Pro 16 inch, running Monterey. I used migration assistant of my files from my old 2016 MacBook Pro on the weekend. Spotlight is working after checking privacy but in Outlook I cannot search my emails ... Spotlight can see the emails ... Very annoying .. in interactions with Microsoft overnight they suggested installing and reinstalling Office .. has anyone tried this ?

From Microsoft: "To re-confirm, may I know if Outlook migrated using the migration assistance tool? If so, let's uninstall and re-install the complete Office suite on this device and check if it resolves the search issue. Before you uninstall the applications, please take a backup of the below mentioned folder. Quit Outlook completely. On the Finder menu bar click "Go", click "Library". Then go to "Group Containers" folder. Find the "UBF8T346G9.Office" folder, copy this and paste it on to the desktop. Note that you have to copy and put it to desktop as a backup. Once done, please refer to the following articles to uninstall and re-install Office suites.

Uninstall Office for Mac: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/uninstall-office-for-mac-eefa1199-5b58-43af-8a3d-b73dc1a8cae3

Reinstall Office for Mac: https://support.office.com/en-US/article/download-and-install-or-reinstall-office-365-or-office-2019-on-a-pc-or-mac-4414eaaf-0478-48be-9c42-23adc4716658#InstallSteps=Install_on_a_Mac

I will wait for your reply. Thanks."

As anyone had any success with this ? It only seems to create a clean slate for Outlook ..

Dec 7, 2021 4:37 AM in response to MisterPatrickL

I have found a solution. The macbook must reindex your harddisk! see : https://www.techradar.com/how-to/software/operating-systems/how-to-fix-a-mac-s-broken-find-function-1298964

It can take a while (sometimes hours) but it works.

Start by opening your System Preferences, then select Spotlight. Click on the privacy tab. Here you'll see any private locations that aren't going to be searched when you use the Find command or run a Spotlight search.

Though it might seem counterintuitive, drag the icon for your hard drive(s) onto the list — or, if you'd prefer, just drag over any specific folders that you think aren't being searched. Once you've done that, click the folders or hard drives you just added, then hit the minus button to remove them from the list, which will cause their contents to be re-added to the search index.

The reindexing process can potentially take a long time (several hours) depending on how many files you have, but once it's done, your searching capabilities should be restored.

It worked for me! (but I reindexed the complete harddisk (Macinthos HD)

Good luck!

Search not working in Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.