You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI port not working on my brand new MacBook Pro M1-Pro (2021)

I can't get the HDMI port on my brand new MacBook Pro M1-Pro (2021) to work. Is there something special that is required to activate it?

I've tried three different cables on three different displays. All of which work with my other computers.

When plugging it into the MBP's HDMI port nothing happens and eventually the displays go to sleep for lack of signal.

I can still use an external display over the USB-C to HDMI, but it will be really annoying if I already have to get this hardware serviced after just three days.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 4:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 4:51 PM

read here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204388

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 17, 2021 7:58 AM in response to clarkn

Similar issue: USB-C ports on this new M1 MacBook Pro don't recognize all device inputs or adaptors (note that they're all Apple products and not third-party accessories). One port won't recognize an iPhone, the other works with one USB-C adaptor but not others, and more. Is this unique to this machine requiring a repair or is anyone else experiencing?

Nov 17, 2021 8:24 AM in response to On Breezy Hill

Actually, that is due to the quality of the cable…

I’m finding that out slowly and steady…LOL

For example , if I use an Apple or Belkin branded ‘active’ Thunderbolt cable( that means it has a chip in it) then I am able to charge, transfer data and do all the usual stuff between my iPad Pro M1 and my MBP M1…no worries…

IF I dare use a non chipped Thunderbolt cable the M1 will see it as a badly made standard USB-C cable.It may cause random problems such as bad charge…or not work at all…

( however, these non chip TB cables work great with external SSDs and other devices)

The problem here, it seems that not all ‘Intel certified’ TB cables work on Apple devices due to the chip and other ‘frequency’ standards… your best bet is to find cables that are specifically Mac compatible/ certified MFi

I know this gets complex

HDMI port not working on my brand new MacBook Pro M1-Pro (2021)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.