Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very slow Wi-Fi internet after Monterey 12.0.1 update

I had normal, fast speeds on Big Sur OS, but when I updated my early 2015 MBP to Monterey 12.0.1 everything online has come to a halt. I compared with my other MBP early 2020 (on Catalina), and the MacBook Pro on Monterey is getting SIGNIFICANTLY lower speeds than my Catalina MBP. Why would this be happening after new OS update?

7.96 Mbps on Monterey laptop https://imgur.com/a/GTcYHKl

303.76 Mbps on Catalina laptop https://imgur.com/a/CDRkV3W

Posted on Nov 5, 2021 4:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 3:59 PM

I was able to work this out with a senior technician at Apple (AFTER updating to 12.1 today).

After doing a million other steps the thing that got my speed back was by going to System Preferences > Network > Location, Edit Location > Hit the plus sign and add a location (I left it "untitled") then hit done.

It took a second for the ethernet/wifi to reconnect and turn green but when they did I ran my speed test which went from 0.09 mbps upload to 50.0 mbps

An interesting point was that the speed was normal (fast) in safe mode before I made these changes.

I hope this helps. Cheers.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2021 3:59 PM in response to captainkirk24

I was able to work this out with a senior technician at Apple (AFTER updating to 12.1 today).

After doing a million other steps the thing that got my speed back was by going to System Preferences > Network > Location, Edit Location > Hit the plus sign and add a location (I left it "untitled") then hit done.

It took a second for the ethernet/wifi to reconnect and turn green but when they did I ran my speed test which went from 0.09 mbps upload to 50.0 mbps

An interesting point was that the speed was normal (fast) in safe mode before I made these changes.

I hope this helps. Cheers.

Nov 13, 2021 1:24 AM in response to LemuelG

I created a USB drive install of Catalina following Apple's guide here (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372).

I saw other people post about fixing this issue with some troubleshooting steps and rebooting the computer, so I installed Monterey 12.0.1 again after rolling back to Catalina last week. Sadly, after installing Monterey AGAIN. The internet is essentially dead still.

Very much confirmed this is an OS issue, and I don't see any value in trying to find a workaround by tinkering with things to get it to work correctly. I'm rolling back to Catalina, and going to keep an eye on the release notes for future updates. Hopefully they've at least acknowledged this issue by now.

Dec 10, 2021 6:50 PM in response to captainkirk24

Hello Captain Kirk! I am having the same issue, but on my brand new 2021 MacBook Pro with M1 Max. Unfortunately, because of this, I can't roll back my macOS to test with another release, but I do have a 2020 MacBook on Big Sur and they both have differences.

I have posted a detailed analysis of my network here: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/432302/macbook-pro-2021-14-wifi-with-lower-rssi-than-macbook-pro-2020-13

But, essentially, the effect I observe on Speedtest is the same as you. Could you please Option+Click on the WiFi icon in the menu bar and see if there are differences in the signal strength between the two macOS releases? You will be looking at the RSSI, Noise and Tx Rate, which tell you how strong the signal is and how fast the laptop is connected to your WiFi router. Thank you so much!

Dec 16, 2021 10:23 AM in response to AndreGB

I have been following this thread and others (and on Reddit as well) regarding this issue. And, I have an open case with Apple Support. I have done extensive testing and troubleshooting (documented much of it in this blog: https://www.hightechdad.com/2021/12/10/macos-monterey-slow-upload-speeds-not-your-imagination/ ).

All of my tests were with Ethernet connections (no WiFi). And all with gig internet (up and down). Bottom line - definitely an issue with Monterey. Tested hardwired on Big Sur as well as Windows using same Ethernet connection. Also tested with a neighbor using hard-wired connection, different Macs, and some running Monterey & Big Sur. Only Monterey affected.

I highly recommend people talk to Apple Support and log a bug so that there can be more reports of issues, making this a priority fix!

Dec 16, 2021 7:00 PM in response to captainkirk24

Right, I still want to run more tests, but I can say my speeds are better after 12.1. Mostly because they've fixed the WiFi 6 reconnection issues, so my laptop now always reconnects as WiFi 6.

I don't have upload issues, like the previous post mentioned. My problems are related to WiFi reception, mostly download. The signal strengths are still worse than all my previous laptops, and I am starting to think Apple screwed the project of this generation, as my signals get even worse when I connect an external monitor. But more on this later after I do more tests.

Very slow Wi-Fi internet after Monterey 12.0.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.