Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook late 2008 unibody won't turn on

I recently found my late 2008 MacBook unibody battery was swollen. I removed the battery and have been using it plugged in.

As soon as I removed the battery the MacBook continually goes in to sleep mode. It would turn on, the grey screen with apple logo and progress bar was displayed, then the login screen would show momentarily and then the display and keyboard backlights would turn off, the fan would stop, and the power light would pulse as though it was in sleep mode or the lid was closed. For a little over a week I've been able to eventually get the screen to stay on by power cycling, open/closing the lid, plugging in a MiniDisplay adapter, tapping the spacebar and track pad. I have no idea which of these "strategies" made the difference.

Today however I was unable to get the screen to stay on, and now the MacBook wont turn on at all. Twice the power light turned on momentarily when I pushed the power button, but now nothing happens at all.

Any advice would be appreciated. I've been able to limp this old notebook along for the last 5 years, I'm hoping this isn't the end.

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 6, 2021 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2021 6:27 PM

Try an SMC Reset and PRAM Reset (hold the PRAM Reset for at least three chimes).

The swollen battery may have damaged the Trackpad. You can try disconnecting the Trackpad cable from the Logic Board to see if it solves your problem.

You can also attempt to run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2021 6:27 PM in response to CentaurRidingACentaur

Try an SMC Reset and PRAM Reset (hold the PRAM Reset for at least three chimes).

The swollen battery may have damaged the Trackpad. You can try disconnecting the Trackpad cable from the Logic Board to see if it solves your problem.

You can also attempt to run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Macbook late 2008 unibody won't turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.