Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook 2015 suddenly doesn’t turn on anymore

My 12 inch MacBook was fine in the morning, I closed the lid and that same evening it doesn’t turn on anymore. I’ve tried everything; charging with different cables/adapter (I can feel the battery warm up), SMC reset (tried various times, no response), safe boot (no response), PVRAM (no response), tried to hold off/on button for various times, different combinations of keyboard sets... no response whatsoever. I don’t hear the fan come on, nor does the cap locks light up nor can I hear any chime sounds.

The strange thing is that when I plug the adapter in I can make the touch pad click, but when I take the adapter out the touch pad seems dead as well. This makes me think the logic board is still operating...?

Some background info: Macbook had no issues whatsoever and I’ve barely used it all these years. I never dropped it and never had any water damage. I live in Mexico, but use a European adapter with a convertible plug. I am thinking the Mexican surge peaks could have caused the battery to die? Any thoughts on this and how to fix it? I am living far away from any Apple store...

another reason could be the sea breeze causing moisture damage? I live a few meters from the beach but never take my MacBook out of my house.

Would appreciate any advice! Thanks

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 14, 2020 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2020 10:24 PM

Yvette9510 Said:

"[..]the problem is that I live an hours flight from the closest Apple store and bringing it to just any computer shop will void the warranty wouldn’t it? Seems like there should be a recall for these machines (checked Rossmanns video on YouTube about it)."

--------

The price for an hour's flight may be much less than that of a new Mac. Despite that, here is what I would do:

Call Apple Support:

Contact Apple Support and request that the Apple Rep updates your Apple IDAssigned Devices to how they should be. Then, perform a trial and error login with the Apple Rep, assuring that all is how it should be. Bringing it to any computer shop would void it, if it were worked on. Just have the shop look at it, and see if they can give you any feedback on it. So, here is what I would do...

Screenshare this with the Apple Rep:

Ask to perform a screenshare session with the Apple Rep. If using your own iPhone does not work -- or is not an option -- you might need to use a different iPhone (friend's or coworker's?). You would open the Camera app on it, and then share the iPhone's screen with the Apple Rep, hovering it over your own Window's PC screen. Enable the speaker phone. This will allow them (the Apple Rep) to see it from your perspective)

So, Go About Contacting Apple Support:

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2020 10:24 PM in response to Yvette9510

Yvette9510 Said:

"[..]the problem is that I live an hours flight from the closest Apple store and bringing it to just any computer shop will void the warranty wouldn’t it? Seems like there should be a recall for these machines (checked Rossmanns video on YouTube about it)."

--------

The price for an hour's flight may be much less than that of a new Mac. Despite that, here is what I would do:

Call Apple Support:

Contact Apple Support and request that the Apple Rep updates your Apple IDAssigned Devices to how they should be. Then, perform a trial and error login with the Apple Rep, assuring that all is how it should be. Bringing it to any computer shop would void it, if it were worked on. Just have the shop look at it, and see if they can give you any feedback on it. So, here is what I would do...

Screenshare this with the Apple Rep:

Ask to perform a screenshare session with the Apple Rep. If using your own iPhone does not work -- or is not an option -- you might need to use a different iPhone (friend's or coworker's?). You would open the Camera app on it, and then share the iPhone's screen with the Apple Rep, hovering it over your own Window's PC screen. Enable the speaker phone. This will allow them (the Apple Rep) to see it from your perspective)

So, Go About Contacting Apple Support:

Mar 14, 2020 10:03 PM in response to TheLittles

No keyboard cover... already tried keeping the lid open, even in AC room. This problem happened over a week ago and I haven’t been able to start it up at all. I’ve done some research and it seems this is a common issue with MacBook 12inch Early 2015, some failure in a charging chip or something.... the problem is that I live an hours flight from the closest Apple store and bringing it to just any computer shop will void the warranty wouldn’t it? Seems like there should be a recall for these machines (checked Rossmanns video on YouTube about it).

May 11, 2020 11:34 PM in response to Yvette9510

Yvette9510 Said:

"Brought it in for repair, three fuses needed to be replaced... cost 250$, no warranty because they blamed it on outlet failure and peak surges... I still think it’s the common Macbook 2015 problem (Rossmann video on YouTube)."

-------

Overheated Backup:

My customer's 2015 MacBook Pro had issues with the touchpad - tuned out, it was overheating due to misalignment with the fuses connectors - where did that come from? Leaving it on for 30 days formatting an external hard drive.

Macbook 2015 suddenly doesn’t turn on anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.