Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I continue using my current Time Machine Backup Disc with a new Mac?

I recently upgraded from a 2009 MBP to a 2021 MBP. I migrated all my data from the old MBP to the new MBP using Migration Assistant. Can I continue to use my current Time Machine Backup Disc with my new MBP?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 6, 2021 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2021 4:37 PM

this is an Apple article on the subject:

If your new Mac inherits your backup history - Apple Support

This is an article form a series of articles written by the late James Pond. Users have found them extremely helpful

.Pondini's Time Machine - Troubleshooting -- B6. "Reconnecting" to your backups

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2021 4:37 PM in response to DocSarvis

this is an Apple article on the subject:

If your new Mac inherits your backup history - Apple Support

This is an article form a series of articles written by the late James Pond. Users have found them extremely helpful

.Pondini's Time Machine - Troubleshooting -- B6. "Reconnecting" to your backups

Nov 6, 2021 3:56 PM in response to DocSarvis

You should be offered the opportunity to "take over" the existing backup on the new computer. if not, there is a way you can ask for it.

But how old is that drive? Drives don't last forever.

You may be better served by ADDing an additional drive to your old drive. Your Mac builds a new, stand-alone backup set starting with today on the new drive, and every-other backup goes to every-other drive until one is removed.

Nov 6, 2021 4:08 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you, Grant. The drive is about two years old. It is a 4 TB drive with over 3 TB of unused capacity. I haven't been offered anything Time Machine-related since I've had my new MBP, but I certainly understand the benefit of having multiple backup drives in case something happens to one of them.

As for how take over the existing backup, what do I need to do? Thanks in advance.

Can I continue using my current Time Machine Backup Disc with a new Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.