Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backup

Can I use the WD My Passport Air I bought a few years ago to do Time Machine backups of my old MacBook Air to now back up a different laptop -- i.e. my 2018 MacBook Pro? When I tried this for the first time, I was asked if I want to "Claim Existing Backups" or "Start New Backup." What's the right answer?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 3:12 PM

Hi ATJ_Voices_MCJ,

If you're fine with deleting the previous backups, choose "Start New Backup".

If you want to preserve the previous backups:

• If you already transferred all of the backup contents onto your new MacBook Pro, select "Claim Existing Backups".

• If you're starting fresh on your new MacBook Pro, but want to preserve the previous backups, let me know. Do NOT choose to claim the existing backups.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2021 3:12 PM in response to ATJ_Voices_MCJ

Hi ATJ_Voices_MCJ,

If you're fine with deleting the previous backups, choose "Start New Backup".

If you want to preserve the previous backups:

• If you already transferred all of the backup contents onto your new MacBook Pro, select "Claim Existing Backups".

• If you're starting fresh on your new MacBook Pro, but want to preserve the previous backups, let me know. Do NOT choose to claim the existing backups.

Time Machine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.