Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring data to new iphone13 from pc backup

When backing up my iphone6 on my pc, I didn't encrypt my data and didn't use a password. When attempting to transfer data to my new iphone13, it asks for a password. Since there is no password and the process requires one, how can I proceed?

iPhone 13, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 6, 2021 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 10:05 AM

In iTunes, you can delete the backup by going to the top menu, go to Edit>Preferences>Devices, then select the backup in question, then click on the Delete Backup button. Then you will need to follow the instructions in this support document to Turn off Backup Encryption. About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support Then you will be able to backup the phone and it will not be encrypted.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2021 10:05 AM in response to malabruda

In iTunes, you can delete the backup by going to the top menu, go to Edit>Preferences>Devices, then select the backup in question, then click on the Delete Backup button. Then you will need to follow the instructions in this support document to Turn off Backup Encryption. About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support Then you will be able to backup the phone and it will not be encrypted.

Nov 6, 2021 7:13 PM in response to malabruda

You can't. It would seem that at some point you had iTunes configured with an encrypted backup. Once encrypted backup is turned on in iTunes it remains on. Do you remember setting one at some time? iTunes cannot set a password on its own, it takes two times of entering the password for it to encrypt. Once it is encrypted and you cannot remember the password, you will not be able to use the backup. Do you still have the iPhone 6 to backup again? You would have to delete the backup from the computer, and then prepare to backup again but make sure that encrypted is turned off in iTunes.

Restoring data to new iphone13 from pc backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.