Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I do this with a Windows computer?

I had to backup my old iPhone XR to my Windows PC last week and my old phone is no longer accessible. We did not encrypt the backup but it is asking for the encryption password when we try to restore it on my new phone. How can I achieve password recovery and/or reset the device settings since I have a non-Mac laptop? Thanks!

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 6:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2022 7:44 PM

You can't access your previous encrypted backups without the password, but you can create a new encrypted backup by following the steps in this article:

If you can’t remember the password for your encrypted backup - Apple Support

If you can't restore your iPhone at all, you can put it into recovery mode and restore it with iTunes by following the steps in this article:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2022 7:44 PM in response to blmary

You can't access your previous encrypted backups without the password, but you can create a new encrypted backup by following the steps in this article:

If you can’t remember the password for your encrypted backup - Apple Support

If you can't restore your iPhone at all, you can put it into recovery mode and restore it with iTunes by following the steps in this article:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone or iPod touch - Apple Support

How can I do this with a Windows computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.