Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

battery life on MacBook m1

I have had my MacBook pro, m1 for about ten months and it shows max capacity of battery to be 93%. That sounds bad for only that amount of time. What are yours measuring and the time you have had your MacBook M1.

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 11:04 AM

Batteries are a wear item, like the soles of your shoes or the brakes and tires on your car. They deteriorate with heavy use and high temperatures, but also just by age. They often (but not always) last three years, but can last longer if you are both kind to them AND lucky.

Your battery will eventually need to be replaced -- they do not last forever.

So yes, that assessment seems correct. Your battery is behaving as expected.

Apple has not recommended "exercise" for your computer battery for several years. "Battery Health Management", if available on your model of MacBook Pro, takes care of all of that and more.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2021 11:04 AM in response to 107main

Batteries are a wear item, like the soles of your shoes or the brakes and tires on your car. They deteriorate with heavy use and high temperatures, but also just by age. They often (but not always) last three years, but can last longer if you are both kind to them AND lucky.

Your battery will eventually need to be replaced -- they do not last forever.

So yes, that assessment seems correct. Your battery is behaving as expected.

Apple has not recommended "exercise" for your computer battery for several years. "Battery Health Management", if available on your model of MacBook Pro, takes care of all of that and more.

Nov 7, 2021 10:10 AM in response to 107main

I leave my MacBook plugged in all the time on charge and in sleep mode as I do not cut it completely off, just like I do my 2011 MacBook Pro, should it be occasionally discharged and recharged, or turned completely off when not using. I dont recall any specific info on what to do that is best for the computer.

Nov 7, 2021 10:19 AM in response to 107main

Research shows that these lithium polymer batteries need to spend most of their life between 20% and 80%. Apple’s own software is supposed to learn your style to make that happen by not charging above 80% until 2 hours before you are likely to take it somewhere to run on battery. Of course if you never take it off the charger, then it will never learn anything. You are probably better off starting the day off the charge, and then charging again if it drops to 20%. Then the mac will do what it's supposed to do.

Hope this helps. It seems counter to normal thinking that it would lose its charging energy by being fully charged most of the time, but it's true. It's designed to be discharged, and if you never do that, it just plain deteriorates.

Nov 7, 2021 10:51 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Yes the Mac will do it. But if you leave it on the charger 24/7 365 days a year, then the mac’s system for dealing with the battery will not be engaged because you never use the battery.

Obviously, your battery has lost its charge by 7% while you never used it. These batteries, and mac’s systems for dealing with the battery have to be engaged, or they won’t work. As they say, “Use it or lose it”.

Nov 7, 2021 12:27 PM in response to zarathu

zarathu--

That is an interesting article, But Apple Computer, Inc does NOT recommend "exercise" for their batteries nor deep discharge for calibration or any other purpose at any time during their life, Not when new, Not when old.

To the best of my knowledge, the authors of that article, Grepow do not make the batteries used in the MacBook Pro.

battery life on MacBook m1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.