Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power on from external display doesn't work anymore (Security Update 2021-007)

Hi, after applying the last Security Update (2021-007) my MBP16/2020 (macOS 10.15.7, FileVault enabled) switched off, doesn’t power on when I switch on the external display (from power off, connected to MBP by USB-C) anymore. The only way to power on my Mac is now to lift the MBP lid, then close it to get my desktop on the external display.

Nothing happens even planning the switching on/off hours within System Preferences.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

PS: It doesn’t power on even if I connect the USB-C monitor cable alone.

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 11:29 AM

5 replies

Nov 8, 2021 11:28 AM in response to YellowDF

Hey there YellowDF,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having issues with your MacBook not waking as expected after updating the macOS, and we'd be happy to look into what's going on.

To get started, when the MacBook is closed and connected to your external display, do you also have the power adapter connected and the MacBook charging? If not, does the issue persist after connecting your charger to your MacBook?

Also, are you using a wired or Bluetooth mouse and keyboard with your MacBook? If using Bluetooth, does the same issue occur if you use a wired mouse and keyboard?

Lastly, since the issue started, have you tried restarting your MacBook to see if that's able to help with the issue: Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Take care!

Nov 8, 2021 12:53 PM in response to Chris_V89

Thanl you, Chris!

I'll do as soon as I'll get enough time (and patience) to answer questions like: "sure that no black-out is going on?" or "why not to reinstall macOS?" and so on... ;)

Anyway, I'll update this thread, if they will solve the issue, even if I'm afraid that:

1. something could change within the next update 2021-008 or 2022-001
  2. or it will be the same forever for security reasons. Possibly they "closed a door" before booting, for security purposes.

We'll see.

Have a great day you too!

Nov 8, 2021 11:49 AM in response to Chris_V89

Hi Chris,

thank you for your answer. My problem is not about "waking up" my MBP, but swtching it on from power off (shut down), as I use to do daily (I know, is not so common, but I l like).

No need for power adapter, as my external display (Philips 328P6VUBREB - https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/461a13f2) provides enough power to my MBP.

Before Security Update 2021-007 everything worked perfectly: my MBP and external displays switched off; then power on the display and boot window on the external display (white apple, then accounts).

After applying the last Security Update, there's no way to get the same behaviour, even if I disconnect any other device from my MBP.

To power on my MBP I now can only lift the MBP lid.

Thank you again!

Power on from external display doesn't work anymore (Security Update 2021-007)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.