Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data Migration To A New MacBook

Is using a time machine backup the same as using migration assistant to copy and move files from machine to machine? Which method is faster?

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 3:22 PM

Setup Assistant will happily pick up your old data from a connected time machine backup, as easily as from another Mac. When it asks whether to Create a new User, you just tell it where your backup is, and it gets all the "stuff" from there.

If you already created your first new User, you can use Migration Assistant instead. it will put your User data in an additional User account.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2021 3:22 PM in response to Latebraking

Setup Assistant will happily pick up your old data from a connected time machine backup, as easily as from another Mac. When it asks whether to Create a new User, you just tell it where your backup is, and it gets all the "stuff" from there.

If you already created your first new User, you can use Migration Assistant instead. it will put your User data in an additional User account.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Nov 7, 2021 2:29 PM in response to Latebraking

I used an HDD from a late 2013 to a M1Pro. My procedure was:

1. Either buy a new drive(I did) or reformat a current drive
  2. Format it to APFS filing system without encryption(no point making it harder)
  3. Make one new time machine backup to your old computer
  4. Attach the HDD to the new computer
  5. Boot the new computer, when it asks: check on time machine
  6. Let it transfer
  7. When you are done, reformat the drive in APFS(since the new machine will refuse to use an old backup)
  8. Make a new time machine backup The new machine will reformat it again to APFS since it won’t trust you.
  9. Everything on the new mac should look just about exactly the same as the old mac except for system differences.

This is what I did.

Nov 7, 2021 3:35 PM in response to Latebraking

Probably. Since I was planning on using the time machine, I wanted it ready to go. Migration will ask what you want to do.

I basically just followed the instructions and had the time machine backup attached. I wanted to make sure there was no confusion so I only had one brand new backup on it, and I wanted to make sure Monterey was ready for it, so the back up was already in APFS. I only do this once every 5 or 6 years, since I keep my machines for a long time. I will be over 80 years old before I trade this new M1Pro in again.

Data Migration To A New MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.