Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

kb article about migration assistant

Hi!

Can you share with me a link about how to use migration assistant with time machine backup?

I want to transfer data from old mac to a new one with time machine

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on May 31, 2021 3:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2021 4:14 AM

I can't find a kb article right now, but it is super easy and convenient.

To migrate, you can do it either the very first time you start the new mac - simply by choosing "from another mac ... or drive" when asked; or by launching the Migration Assistant application, at any time.

Two important things you should consider:

1) If you choose to migrate later, you will have to create an account first on the new macl be careful to NOT create it with the same name as an account on the older mac, so as to not create an issue later.

Best thing is to migrate at the moment you are setting up your new mac.

2) In any of the cases, I strongly recommend that you migrate ONLY the user accounts - and NOT migrate applications, settings, or other files. This way you avoid bring back old stuff that may have been there for years and not compatible with Big Sur.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2021 4:14 AM in response to tool420

I can't find a kb article right now, but it is super easy and convenient.

To migrate, you can do it either the very first time you start the new mac - simply by choosing "from another mac ... or drive" when asked; or by launching the Migration Assistant application, at any time.

Two important things you should consider:

1) If you choose to migrate later, you will have to create an account first on the new macl be careful to NOT create it with the same name as an account on the older mac, so as to not create an issue later.

Best thing is to migrate at the moment you are setting up your new mac.

2) In any of the cases, I strongly recommend that you migrate ONLY the user accounts - and NOT migrate applications, settings, or other files. This way you avoid bring back old stuff that may have been there for years and not compatible with Big Sur.

kb article about migration assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.