Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted emails keep coming back, WHY?

I have been deleting emails that are in my Apple mail for several email accounts. In particular, emails I delete using AOL or GMAIL addresses, keep coming back. No matter how many times I click the Trash Icon, they come back. WHY?

why would I have to delete the accounts and add them back?

Why would I have to go to Chrome or any other browser to delete these emails?

Looks like this is a problem that has been going on for several years according to the comments on Community page. Not just on MAC OS Catalina, but with iPhones, iPads, etc. Doesn't seem to matter which version is being used.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 7, 2021 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 2:25 PM

Looks like this worked for me. I had to do for each Gmail account separately.

I'm glad I didn't have to go into safe mode and all of the other technical steps that others suggested.

Thank you very much!!

11 replies

Nov 8, 2021 2:46 PM in response to Brian_P7

The articles didn't help. Yes, I am deleting by hitting the trashcan either individual emails or multiple emails. I'm trying to delete from more than one account. The accounts are for one of my Gmail addresses and my AOL address. I have Macbook Pro 13" with Catalina. When I go to the Gmail and AOL accounts outside of Apple Mail, they are not there. Only keep coming back within a matter of less than a minute on Apple Mail.

Other people have been posting same issues and the oldest post I found was about 10 years ago!

Thank you,

Nov 8, 2021 12:06 PM in response to laurafromdunwoody

Hello Laura,

It sounds like deleted emails keep coming back. We understand how important this is to you and we are here to help.

Are you permanently deleting emails? This article may be able to help: Delete emails in Mail on Mac

Can you also provide a few more details? Does this happen with multiple accounts of just one email account? Which Mac are you currently using? Also, how long before the emails come back?

Cheers!

Nov 10, 2021 4:31 PM in response to laurafromdunwoody

Hello;

I have a google account and my Provider "Telus" switched to system where google maintains and operates the email for Telus. I have quite a few accounts. I have experienced your problem on a few occasions. The fix that worked for me was to sign on to my google account on the web. Under settings /Forwarding and Pop/Imap. Check the following ( I assume your accounts are iMap?) Enable Imap, Auto-Expunge off, the next two options are irrelevant to the problem.

I have found that these settings change by themselves once in a while and I have to go back and change them again. I have no idea why they change. The only account that does not have this issue in my icloud.com account.

This might work for you, hopefully.

Regards

Neil

Dec 20, 2021 1:28 PM in response to Tuco09

Well, it didn't work for me... i.e., the suggested Settings modifications. I am a very happy owner of an 11yo Mac Air that works flawlessly. I can delete email messages on it and they stay deleted. Within seconds my iPad and iPhone are also updated, correctly showing the removed files. Now we come to the problem... Because you no longer support my Mac Air, I have purchased a brand new Mac Pro 13" (after urging by my son). I can delete gmail email messages on it and they disappear. However, they don't disappear from my iPad nor iPhone. Later, if I reboot my new Mac Pro, or even plug it in, the deleted email messages reappear! OK. I guess I will try the Safe Mode route but I don't see how that can help. If you can help me, please keep in mind that I am 71yo and don't speak IT.

Nov 8, 2021 3:27 PM in response to 1ssmith

I know I'm not on the latest Mac OS version. I'm on Catalina and not Big Sur. I stated in my previous reply to Brian that I have Macbook Pro 13", it's 2017 edition. I would prefer not to go into Safe Mode as I've had problems in the past requiring an Apple tech to work on my laptop to get it working again.

I think I might start with deleting my two email accounts and adding them back or use them on Outlook instead.

Nov 8, 2021 8:34 PM in response to laurafromdunwoody

laurafromdunwoody wrote:

I know I'm not on the latest Mac OS version. I'm on Catalina and not Big Sur. I stated in my previous reply to Brian that I have Macbook Pro 13", it's 2017 edition. I would prefer not to go into Safe Mode as I've had problems in the past requiring an Apple tech to work on my laptop to get it working again.
I think I might start with deleting my two email accounts and adding them back or use them on Outlook instead.

Safe Mode is very "Safe" -- it simply starts up your Mac without third party extensions and performs file system repairs and clears out some caches. Since caches are used by your Mac to "remember" certain items, and your Mac seems to be "remembering" something that you don't want, this might be worth trying. Booting into Safe Mode might take 5-10 minutes while it is cleaning house.

Deleting the email accounts and adding them back may also work. Make sure they are both IMAP (not POP) accounts or you could lose some emails in the process.

Dec 20, 2021 1:46 PM in response to roy71yo

Well, the email messages I deleted on the Mac Pro haven't returned to the Mac Pro even after rebooting. The Settings changes seemed to have accomplished deleting the message on the Mac Pro (i.e., they have not returned, yet). However, those message still appear on my gmail account. They rightfully still appear on my iPad, iPhone and Mac Air. ... The problem seems to be that the Mac Pro is not deleting email message on my gmail account when I delete the messages on the Mac Pro. There must be some improper setting on the Mac Pro. I have tried to compare Mac Pro settings to my Mac Air settings but they seem to agree where the settings appear on both machines (not always the same).

Deleted emails keep coming back, WHY?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.