Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup Items delayed 2 minutes after restart

I have an M1 MacBook Air that recently has started delaying the opening of startup items for at least two minutes. A phone call to Apple support was not at all illuminating. Anyone have any ideas what to try? I've reinstalled apps without success. If I remove the items from startup at login, I still can't open the apps for about the first two minutes.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2021 1:05 PM

Well, as to the AV software, the recommended and often repeated advice here is: uninstall it. Starting with Catalina, Apple has sequestered the OS and all its system files in a inaccessible/read only volume for security - which means that your AV stuff cannot access what it wants to look at. That may be at least one reason for the long startup. Aside from that, Mac OS has excellent security built in, so there is no need to install the irrelevant apps which will not be helpful.

As for the other one - it sounds like an overkill. I am not familiar with it, but your built in firewall as well as the firewall in your router/modem should suffice nicely. The inaccessibility of the OS/system may be another reason for the app to be so slow - trying to access something it cannot. I'd contact the developer and ask what purpose it has on the new mac OS security.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210650

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2021 1:05 PM in response to lth2325

Well, as to the AV software, the recommended and often repeated advice here is: uninstall it. Starting with Catalina, Apple has sequestered the OS and all its system files in a inaccessible/read only volume for security - which means that your AV stuff cannot access what it wants to look at. That may be at least one reason for the long startup. Aside from that, Mac OS has excellent security built in, so there is no need to install the irrelevant apps which will not be helpful.

As for the other one - it sounds like an overkill. I am not familiar with it, but your built in firewall as well as the firewall in your router/modem should suffice nicely. The inaccessibility of the OS/system may be another reason for the app to be so slow - trying to access something it cannot. I'd contact the developer and ask what purpose it has on the new mac OS security.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210650

Startup Items delayed 2 minutes after restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.