Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imovie not recognizing virtual camera

I'm trying to use Imovie with a virtual camera (Ecamm live) but it won't recognize the camera. I know others have done it but I can't figure it out, I've restarted and checked security/privacy setting.

Macbook pro 2013 running OS 11.5.2

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 7:21 AM

Hey Dtl62,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand you're trying to use Ecamm Live's virtual webcam with iMovie on your Mac but its not being recognized. We'd like to help.

From what we're seeing on the ecamm support site here Virtual Webcam And Outputs - Ecamm Live User Guide, a subscription might be needed. However, it also states,

"Some Apps Don’t Support Virtual Webcams

Note that some apps don’t load virtual cameras at all. This includes most Apple apps such as FaceTime and iMovie, as well as some third-party apps."

Please reach out to the developer support for your virtual webcam to confirm compatibility.

Best regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2021 7:21 AM in response to Dtl62

Hey Dtl62,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand you're trying to use Ecamm Live's virtual webcam with iMovie on your Mac but its not being recognized. We'd like to help.

From what we're seeing on the ecamm support site here Virtual Webcam And Outputs - Ecamm Live User Guide, a subscription might be needed. However, it also states,

"Some Apps Don’t Support Virtual Webcams

Note that some apps don’t load virtual cameras at all. This includes most Apple apps such as FaceTime and iMovie, as well as some third-party apps."

Please reach out to the developer support for your virtual webcam to confirm compatibility.

Best regards.

Imovie not recognizing virtual camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.