Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trusted Device

I would like to change the setting where my authentification code is sent to my ¨trusted device" which is my iphone. I DO NOT want the code sent to my phone number. Please advise where I can find the setting to make this change?

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 8:52 AM

Check your trusted device status for your AppleID by signing in at -> https://appleid.apple.com/

By default, 2FA codes are sent via encrypted iCloud notifications, not SMS text. So it sounds like your iPhone is not set up as a trusted device.

7 replies

Nov 9, 2021 1:37 PM in response to MicGerard

You sign into iCloud with your AppleID on that iPhone, and you keep that AppleID signed into iCloud on that device. once signed in, that iPhone is a trusted device until you sign your AppleID out of iCloud on that same iPhone.

If you go to the secure login I posted and login with your AppleID all your trusted devices signed into that AppleID will be listed there.

Nov 10, 2021 6:22 AM in response to MicGerard

MicGerard wrote:

How can I set up my iPhone as a “trusted device”?

You read the article in the second link I posted and it tells you how to do that, but it seems you didn't do that.

Having your iPhone as your only trusted device is a bad idea. If your iPhone should get lost then you have to go through the lenghthy process of Account Recovery (I won't bother posting the link about that since it seems you're not big into reading links I post).

Trusted Device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.