Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kensington Wired Trackball & Monterey OS

Have an older Kensington trackball that I love. Tried their wireless one and had issues with it. So, went back to the older wired one, model #K64325.

Upgraded to Monterey on my 27" Mac, and all **** broke out. Finally had to totally reinstall the operating system all the way back to Mojave and then moved back to Monterey.

But the driver from Kensington (2.3.1) is what seemed to be causing all the trouble with Monterey. The trackball is still functional, but I can't increase scroll speed or set right-click button(s).

Any idea when Kensington will release a new driver for its USB trackball?

Thanks all.... Bob

iMac 27″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 2:27 PM

Big Sur driver worked fine. It was switching to Monterey that all sorts of problems. The Finder wouldn't even show on the desktop no matter what I did. SO, I couldn't get into turning off the Kensington Works or doing an uninstall. Only fixed the issue when I installed original OS Mojave with upgrade to Monterey and then migrated all applications to new OS. But NOT copying over Kensington Works. Took me three days of trying to figure out from every angle before the total reinstall. Thank goodness for Time Machine and having desktop in the Cloud. At least I'm back to about where I was before the debacle, minus Kensington features.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2021 2:27 PM in response to lllaass

Big Sur driver worked fine. It was switching to Monterey that all sorts of problems. The Finder wouldn't even show on the desktop no matter what I did. SO, I couldn't get into turning off the Kensington Works or doing an uninstall. Only fixed the issue when I installed original OS Mojave with upgrade to Monterey and then migrated all applications to new OS. But NOT copying over Kensington Works. Took me three days of trying to figure out from every angle before the total reinstall. Thank goodness for Time Machine and having desktop in the Cloud. At least I'm back to about where I was before the debacle, minus Kensington features.

Dec 11, 2021 6:47 AM in response to SactoBobA

Dec 11 still no update to Kensington Works so no double click on top buttons. Kensington dragging feet, or apple creating hurdles, who knows? Both companies need to communicate so Kensington users can wait for Works update before moving to Monterey. Why are we the bleeding edge of their lack of concern? Each new update has the potential of shutting down a computer for days while we research the Apple bug, and then the fix. Don't Apple pay folk to do this?

Dec 28, 2021 8:10 PM in response to SactoBobA

Kensington has released an update to the trackball works app. I downloaded it, and it froze my iMac (iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017). I finally got things to work by starting up in safe mode, and manually deleting everything related to Kensington, including preferences, the app in System Preferences, preferences in the various libraries and the removal application. I would not recommend anyone installing this update, version 3.0.3 until Kensington fixes the problem. My older version (2.2.6) worked just fine, and I will probably reinstall it. Again, don't install Trackball Works 3.0.3 for now. I will contact Kensington with my tale of woe.

Jan 22, 2022 9:18 AM in response to paullouis363

May or may not work for you: on iMac in Monterey with wired Expert Mouse could not get left click to hold in Kensington Works, along with odd or no responses to any click action after various attempts. Restarted and BEFORE opening Kensington W (could get a single click with right hand lower button in Expert Mouse.) went to mouse in system preferences and saw that Primary Mouse Button was "Right." Changed to "Left" and thereafter all worked properly in Kensington Works.

Kensington Wired Trackball & Monterey OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.