Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDD of Fusion has Bad sectors and I want to replace it. How can I do that?

I am getting messages that the number of SMART alerts is growing due to uncorrectable bad sectors on the HDD (2.0TB) portion of my Fusion drive. I would like to replace it with a new drive. I have seen comments in Apple Support to say this is not possible or it requires a technical expertise far beyond my own. Also, I have seen articles that the Fusion technology does not support replacing the HDD portion with an SSD drive. (The purpose of the Fusion is to move high access files from HDD to SSD for faster access. If both are SSD,.. why bother?) In any event, I need to address the HDD component and implement a replacement, preferably with another HDD. Can someone please point me to the instructions for making that happen and continue implementing the Fusion process correctly?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 5:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 1:20 PM

Aside from the issues discussed here, you asked "What I am concerned about is whether replacing only the HDD portion invalidates the Fusion configuration". There is a process by which a fusion drive which has lost its 'connection' between the two drives can be reinstated or fixed. That is discussed on the link below. So doing what you suggest can be done. I just happen to think that it is more trouble than it's worth. An external drive solution is cheap, easy and quick.

How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2021 1:20 PM in response to Vino909

Aside from the issues discussed here, you asked "What I am concerned about is whether replacing only the HDD portion invalidates the Fusion configuration". There is a process by which a fusion drive which has lost its 'connection' between the two drives can be reinstated or fixed. That is discussed on the link below. So doing what you suggest can be done. I just happen to think that it is more trouble than it's worth. An external drive solution is cheap, easy and quick.

How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

Nov 10, 2021 1:09 PM in response to Vino909

Vino909 wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I have been through the OWC videos and the physical process is doable for me. What I am concerned about is whether replacing only the HDD portion invalidates the Fusion configuration. I have seen several posts by Apple that say it either cannot be done or is not recommended. Leave me to scratch my head and wonder if an HDD failed, are they suppose to trash the entire machine? If the HDD is replaced, are there additional steps required to get it back in business?

Please don’t open the iMac. Simply use an external SSD. It will be faster than a new hard drive or Fusion Drive, and setting one up has zero risk.

If you are wanting another hard drive since you need a lot of storage, use an external SSD as your startup disk, then store large files and libraries on a high-quality external drive, such as a SanDisk Professional G-DRIVE - Western Digital or a G-Technology G-DRIVE mobile USB-C Portable Hard Drive - Apple.

Jack

Nov 10, 2021 6:36 AM in response to Vino909

you are correct in stating that the operation in question is exceedingly difficult. it is not something most people should attempt, much less actually accomplish. if you want, you can go to OWC’s website where you will find instructional videos for your specific iMac. then you can determine for your self if it's something you could do. you may also learn why that would be so expensive to have it done for you.

Nov 10, 2021 9:11 AM in response to Vino909

Or, an easy solution would be to purchase an SSD external drive and install your OS on it to use as a faster startup drive. They are now cost effective, compact, easy to install with vendor provided USB cables and most of them do not require any external power. you may have to reformat it, though. I personally like LaCies drives, but there are plenty of good ones out there. Doing this is easy to do and solves your problem.

Nov 10, 2021 12:57 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

Thank you for your reply. I have been through the OWC videos and the physical process is doable for me. What I am concerned about is whether replacing only the HDD portion invalidates the Fusion configuration. I have seen several posts by Apple that say it either cannot be done or is not recommended. Leave me to scratch my head and wonder if an HDD failed, are they suppose to trash the entire machine? If the HDD is replaced, are there additional steps required to get it back in business?

Nov 11, 2021 6:44 AM in response to Jack-19

Jack: Thank you for your insight. I agree that cracking open the iMac is the last resort. I have no plans to do that. My question was geared toward understanding the process of actually replacing the HDD portion of the Fusion drive while retaining its function. The Apple Store would be glad to execute this process, if I hand over my first born. Funny how the answers you get depend not so much on the way you ask the question, but about WHO you ask. I've opened iMacs before with no problems. Most people won't. The other unanswered issue is:, if you employ an external SSD as you suggested, you negate the Fusion process. In doing so, could you run into trouble with subsequent Updates that address Fusion problems/issues?

Nov 11, 2021 8:06 AM in response to Vino909

In my posting above I provided you with a link that addresses your question. You can replace part of the fusion drives and then rejoin them with the procedure provided therein. That brings a fusion drive back to normal functioning. If you install the external drive and it has an operating system on it that is used for the startup drive, then what is or is not done to the drives within the computer does not matter. I hope that answers your question.

Nov 11, 2021 12:06 PM in response to Vino909

Vino909 wrote:

Jack: Thank you for your insight. I agree that cracking open the iMac is the last resort. I have no plans to do that. My question was geared toward understanding the process of actually replacing the HDD portion of the Fusion drive while retaining its function. The Apple Store would be glad to execute this process, if I hand over my first born. Funny how the answers you get depend not so much on the way you ask the question, but about WHO you ask. I've opened iMacs before with no problems. Most people won't. The other unanswered issue is:, if you employ an external SSD as you suggested, you negate the Fusion process. In doing so, could you run into trouble with subsequent Updates that address Fusion problems/issues?

I am not sure I understand. You say you don't want to open the iMac, but the only way to still use a Fusion Drive would be to have the internal replaced. Fusion Drive cannot have an external drive "fused" to the internal.

So, unless you go to the Apple Store, you cannot keep your Fusion Drive setup unfortunately/

HDD of Fusion has Bad sectors and I want to replace it. How can I do that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.