Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch unlocking MacBook Pro 2021 not working

Needing some tips! Below is what I checked.

Made sure Apple Watch is logged in Apple ID

Handoff is turned on

Did the whole reboot thing (iPhone, Watch and MacBook Pro

Cycled blue tooth to off and on all devices

Internet sharing off (all sharing turned off)

Turned off passcode and back on flowing a reboot of the watch and iPhone

I get the prompt to allow access to disks when I checkbox allow watch to unlock Mac

I enter the password correctly.

I get a spinning wheel for about 5 mins

Then I get an error popup saying Could not communicate with Apple Watch. Make sure the watch is unlocked. Which of course it is.

I have two iMacs which it works fine. My 2011 MacBook Pro doesn't have the option so its not an issue

I have Watch 6

Iphone 11 pro max

New MacBook Pro 2021 14". M1Pro 10 core CPU 8 Core GPU. 16 GBs Ram. 1 TB SSD

Im at a loss what try try next. I wished the error it generates would elaborate more on where it failed.

Thanks for any help!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 5:06 PM

I have resolved this issue. Please share this. To my disappointment the fix was to reset the SMC on the computer. This is brand firkin new machine and the fix was to reset the SMC. I don't get it but after speaking with a higher tier support person named Brandon, this could happen for a million reasons and should be a go to when things don't connect with one another. Anyways, I have the M1Pro chip and here is the sequence to reset SMC. Power off the device. Press and hold Shift+Control+Option and hold down with left hand and press and hold the power button. The MacBook Pro did a quick reboot after the first charm then a screen of options appeared as like in recovery mode. Don't click anything. Release all keys at this point and press and hold power button for 10 seconds and forces the device to shutdown. Then restart it. Low and behold the watch now seamlessly unlocks the laptop. YAY! I also addressed the Bluetooth and iPhone connection. Tether the iPhone and perform at least one sync and after that the iPhone appears in finder now. So thank you APPLE for doing an awesome job resolving this issue.

Steps:

Two step authentication must be configured on Apple ID

iPhone must me unlocked

Passcode must be set on Watch

Watch is on wrist unlocked

Reset SMC

Force Shutdown device via power button and restart

open System preferences - Privacy and Security: check box unlock with watch.

Search google for model number to reset SMC. Intel's are very different than the M1 and M1Pro chips in resetting SMC

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2021 5:06 PM in response to Brian.Muntz

I have resolved this issue. Please share this. To my disappointment the fix was to reset the SMC on the computer. This is brand firkin new machine and the fix was to reset the SMC. I don't get it but after speaking with a higher tier support person named Brandon, this could happen for a million reasons and should be a go to when things don't connect with one another. Anyways, I have the M1Pro chip and here is the sequence to reset SMC. Power off the device. Press and hold Shift+Control+Option and hold down with left hand and press and hold the power button. The MacBook Pro did a quick reboot after the first charm then a screen of options appeared as like in recovery mode. Don't click anything. Release all keys at this point and press and hold power button for 10 seconds and forces the device to shutdown. Then restart it. Low and behold the watch now seamlessly unlocks the laptop. YAY! I also addressed the Bluetooth and iPhone connection. Tether the iPhone and perform at least one sync and after that the iPhone appears in finder now. So thank you APPLE for doing an awesome job resolving this issue.

Steps:

Two step authentication must be configured on Apple ID

iPhone must me unlocked

Passcode must be set on Watch

Watch is on wrist unlocked

Reset SMC

Force Shutdown device via power button and restart

open System preferences - Privacy and Security: check box unlock with watch.

Search google for model number to reset SMC. Intel's are very different than the M1 and M1Pro chips in resetting SMC

Apple Watch unlocking MacBook Pro 2021 not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.