Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not receiving iMessage notification from one person

Randomly a week ago I stopped receiving text notifications from one contact. I don’t get an alert, vibration, pop down, or even evidence they messaged until I open the conversation. They aren’t silenced or anything and I’ve even tried toggling it on and off. I’ve checked my notification settings and those aren’t causing it either. All other notifications work fine. I have hard reset and restored from a back up basically everything short of factory reset. What is happening?

iPhone SE

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 2:28 PM

Changing show previews didn’t help and neither did deleting and re adding their contact or deleting their conversation.

Edit: 5 min after deleting and re adding their contact and deleting the conversation, notifications suddenly are working for them again

4 replies

Nov 11, 2021 10:39 AM in response to jazlyn53

Hi jazlyn53,

It sounds like you aren't getting notifications for iMessage for just one contact. We're glad you've posted your question in Apple Support Communities. Let's see if this helps.

First let's double-check the alert status for that contact in iMessage. You mentioned that this contact isn't silenced, but the alert feature is slightly different from silencing. It's a quick step to take and confirms that this setting isn't turned on. There's information about how iMessage alerts work in "Turn on Hide alerts" from Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

If the issue continues, let us know what version of iOS you're running and if you use Focus. We ask because in Focus you can not only set schedules for notifications, but also highly customize what contact notifications alert you. Here's more detailed information on Use Focus on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. If you prefer video, Apple Support has a great YouTube video explaining it in How to use Focus on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

We hope this helps and take care!

Nov 12, 2021 1:45 PM in response to jazlyn53

Hi jazlyn53,

In your first message, you mentioned checking your notification settings. Have you had a chance to test and see if changing the settings in Settings > Notifications > Show Previews helps? There's more information in Use notifications on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Additionally, since this is only happening for one contact, have you done anything like removing and re-adding the contact? You'll want to back up any contact information before trying that. Here's how to Manage and delete contacts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Best!

Not receiving iMessage notification from one person

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.