Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firmware password

I turned on my macbook air and a icon of a padlock and a spot to put a password popped up and with further research i found out it means a firmware password has been set. I don't remember making such changes to my mac but i might of set it by mistake. I've read that you can bypass it using recovery mode buy turning on your mac and holding down command + R I've tried this multiple times and was unsuccessful on getting my mac to boot in recovery mode. Could anyone please help me with this issue.

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 8:32 PM

Hi Drop_wrighter20,

Unfortunately, you will need to get your Mac serviced by Apple to remove the firmware password. There is a way to remove it in macOS Recovery, but that method requires knowing the actual password.

You can set up a repair by contacting Apple Support. Make sure to provide proof of purchase.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2021 8:32 PM in response to Drop_wrighter20

Hi Drop_wrighter20,

Unfortunately, you will need to get your Mac serviced by Apple to remove the firmware password. There is a way to remove it in macOS Recovery, but that method requires knowing the actual password.

You can set up a repair by contacting Apple Support. Make sure to provide proof of purchase.

Nov 11, 2021 7:46 PM in response to Encryptor5000

Thanks for the reply. I have the actually password? Like I'm the admin and i have the administrative password to my mac. Unfortunately i do not have proof of purchase besides some text messages between me and the individual from whom i purchased it off of. I got it off someone from offer up so no bill of sales or receipt was given. I was told to bring it to geek squad and they could help me with the issue that i am having. I was able to get the utility's page up when i first got it by command + R but i think i may have deleted the recovery disk/partition when i deleted everything and reinstalled macOS X then OS big sur so that may be the issue why im unable to get it into recovery mode? But ill contact apple and see what they have to say. Thank you again.

Firmware password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.