Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I own a MacBook Pro 13In 2017. Have installed MacOs Monterey 12.01 The problem: I’ve subscribed to Itunes Match.

The program up-loaded my music to the icloud music library.

However Itunes Music still operates only from my external ‘my passport drive’.

I note that when I check preferences the location still shows /My Passport/iTunes/iTunes Media.  Do I have to physically change this?

Do I have to switch something on?

I’ve also tried to sync to my iPad.  It stated that my library will be removed and I would get access through the iCloud Music library.  But it just seems to work as before -as I originally  set it. up through my Macbook Pro.

I hesitate to sync my iPhone as I use it in my car with Apple play and not sure if that will work

in my car. (If there is no library on board).

Sorry so many questions but linked to this attempted new set-up of my music/videos

Hope you can help regards Alan

Mac Pro

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 10:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2021 6:54 PM

turingtest2.

Thank you sir - I appreciate your clear comment and clarification, that has allowed me to continue with my

Itunes Match Setup.

I moved my Itunes folder from my portable drive back to 'Music' on the macbook core drive and the transfer

recommenced to the cloud library.

(I did copy that original Media folder on my portable drive before I started this whole process a few days ago

as a backup for security of my music files)

My current situation is that a good 85% of my music has the status of uploaded or matched or purchased or waiting.

I have a much improved display of the Album Art. (My old library is years old from a few different computers and was quite a mess.

The remaining files with ineligible or error - I will happily plod through with the guidance of your supplied link

This makes me very happy Thank you.

Again, many thanks for your time

regards Alan

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2021 6:54 PM in response to alanfromnorth lakes

turingtest2.

Thank you sir - I appreciate your clear comment and clarification, that has allowed me to continue with my

Itunes Match Setup.

I moved my Itunes folder from my portable drive back to 'Music' on the macbook core drive and the transfer

recommenced to the cloud library.

(I did copy that original Media folder on my portable drive before I started this whole process a few days ago

as a backup for security of my music files)

My current situation is that a good 85% of my music has the status of uploaded or matched or purchased or waiting.

I have a much improved display of the Album Art. (My old library is years old from a few different computers and was quite a mess.

The remaining files with ineligible or error - I will happily plod through with the guidance of your supplied link

This makes me very happy Thank you.

Again, many thanks for your time

regards Alan

Nov 11, 2021 5:17 PM in response to alanfromnorth lakes

Hello alanfromnorth lakes,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

We understand that you have subscribed to iTunes Match and the content from your Music app has been uploaded to the iCloud Music library. You can take a look at the following support article for more information and setting up your other devices to access the iCloud Music library.

Subscribe to iTunes Match - Apple Support

The message you get on your iPad is the essence of iTunes Match. All of your devices that are signed in with the same Apple ID will have access to the same library of music content via the cloud. So, instead of having to connect your iPad or iPhone to your computer to sync your music, you just have to connect to the internet. You can update your devices from across the room, across the city or across the country.

Best regards.

Nov 12, 2021 5:59 AM in response to alanfromnorth lakes

See Use multiple libraries in Music on Mac - Apple Support. If you open a new empty library and enable sync library then you should see all your content in the cloud, rather than linked to your external drive. You can switch back to the physical copies if you want to add content locally and make sure that you have a backup. Alternatively after matching/uploading with the cloud based library you can right-click on the recent imports and use Remove download to free up the space they take.

Once you're confident your cloud library has your content you can enable Sync Library on your iOS devices to have your cloud library sync to them. See Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music - Apple Support - the steps are the same for iTunes Match.

tt2

Nov 13, 2021 2:34 AM in response to alanfromnorth lakes

iCloud Music Library isn't a selectable path. The media folder still needs to point to a local location. This where new downloads o rips would go. If you want to remove the dependency on the external drive you should use a media folder on the system drive. To break the links to locally stored files and start using the copies in the cloud you would normally right-click on selected tracks and use Remove Download, however if you do this with your external drive connected then the files you have there will be deleted, which removes a potential backup you have against any future deletion you might make in error. That's why I suggested making a separate library, stored on the internal drive, that is connected to your cloud content. This will have all of the tracks that have matched or uploaded.

See Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support for more on the tracks that were marked as error, ineligible, etc. in case you want to try to resolve those issues.

tt2

Nov 11, 2021 6:35 PM in response to Nicholas_B2

Nicholas_B2

Thankyou for your prompt reply.

I guess I rambled on a bit with my problem. I need to clarify.

The Macbook Pro responded with "your music is transfered to the cloud library" - and ran for many hours and showed an Icloud bubble above each tune during that time.

However on completion. nothing has change- my music is still linked to my back up portable drive and nothing works if i disconnect my portable drive.

However I do not that my library is much better now as before this i had albums and art work missing from my library, and now it is very much more complete.

Like wise

when I synced my ipad mini. I got the message that your library will be added to the music cloud and we will delete your songs on this device. But it's still there just as i set it up a few days ago by cable connecting direct from my macbook.

I would welcome your advice to correct these situations

regards Alan

Nov 12, 2021 6:40 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you very much for the above suggestions. It has helped me dealing with the App and my music.

You have made it very clear the directions for me to link to the music files.

When i started this process I followed the directions to upload to the icloud music library. (It was a choice offered)

Today I checked the status of my songs and had them all listed with the individual; status of the music files.

Most of them had the status of uploaded or matched or purchased or waiting which looked fine to me. However,

Some had the status of duplicate or error, So i removed these.

Some had ineligible - I guess random stuff I downloaded over the years from The Net

(I could keep these in a separate folder I suppose out of the Itunes folder.

This is my problem

So I know that my music is basically up there in the icloud music!

But when I play my music it is linked only to the portable backup drive. and If I remove that - nothing will play.

When I follow the instructions to change the location of the Media- The only offer is the old music folder on my Macbook hard drive or I can select my attached portable drive. That is, I didn't have a choice of The Icloud music library.

This is quite frustrating and I would love to get a result. at this stage the only option is to continue with my hard drive, as it does work, and just write off the one cost of The Music Match Program.

I hope someone can solve this or has an Idea What I am doing wrong.

Thanks again regards Alan

I own a MacBook Pro 13In 2017. Have installed MacOs Monterey 12.01 The problem: I’ve subscribed to Itunes Match.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.