Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail search fail after Monterey update

When I am searching from someone or something in mail via the search bar I either get poor results or just a blank screen. Does anyone else have this problem and know of a solution?

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 8:35 AM

Try to rebuild your mailboxes. This article will show you how: Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support.

11 replies

Nov 24, 2021 12:19 PM in response to frochild

Posted elsewhere about this. Spotlight works in finder and search works in particular apps (like preview) but search in mail is just looking for mailboxes and finds all mail or nothing. Rebuilding Mail (including rebuilding .envelope files) makes no difference.

Also does not work in Notes (Search shows drop down box for search filters but will not find any notes including what is typed in the search box - just returns blank).

Dec 8, 2021 8:12 PM in response to emiratefan

Same issue here. I tried Apple support, who tried but could not help, who then escalated to a senior engineer, she could not solve the issue; instead she promised to let engineering know. Meanwhile, I am stuck with Mail search that does not work most of the time. Occasionally it does work, but with very slow response time. Only happening in Monterey. Did not happen pre my Monterey upgrade, with same mailbox configuration.

Dec 9, 2021 7:46 AM in response to akfromnyc

My case was also escalated. I was asked to perform a series of tests with them. Surprisingly, I was contacted again for more tests after the results were looked at. Sadly I was too busy to participate when they could… am awaiting to see if they still want to work with me. So it looks like we are stuck with this problem for a while.

Feb 16, 2022 6:12 PM in response to frochild

I've tried everything in response on here and nothing helped.

Has anyone figured this problem out yet including Apple?

I am in Mojave and it quit since then.

One way I found around it was to go to a mail box click on it and then tell it to sort by From.

That way I can at least find all of the emails from who I'm looking for. But It's not convenient.

Mail search fail after Monterey update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.