Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I backed up my lap book onto a hard drive. How do I bring things into my new iMac desktop?

I backed up my lap book onto a hard drive. How do I bring things into my new iMac desktop?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 2:46 PM

If you used Time Machine to backup your stuff to the external drive, then you can use that external drive at the time that you setup your new Mac. The Setup Assistant will ask if you're transferring files and data from another Mac or Time Machine backup.

If you have already setup your new Mac, then you can use Migration Assistant (in Applications folder) to migrate your files back from the TM backup.

Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2021 2:46 PM in response to zipora32

If you used Time Machine to backup your stuff to the external drive, then you can use that external drive at the time that you setup your new Mac. The Setup Assistant will ask if you're transferring files and data from another Mac or Time Machine backup.

If you have already setup your new Mac, then you can use Migration Assistant (in Applications folder) to migrate your files back from the TM backup.

Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.