Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the difference between list of apps that store documents and data in iCloud" in iCloud Drive window, and list of things in iCloud in System Preferences->Apple ID?

In macOS Monterey, when I go to System Preferences and go to Apple ID, the System Preferences window goes to show the Apple ID window. When I select iCloud, I see to the right a pane showing a list of items such as Photos, Keychain, and iCloud Mail, and most significantly iCloud drive. On macOS Catalina, above the pane it says, "Apps on this Mac using iCloud", but not on macOS Monterey. They have check boxes nest to them. Next to iCloud Drive, there is an Options button.

When I click on the Options button next to iCloud Drive, a pop up window appears and in the Documents tab a list of items also with check boxes next to them. It says above the list of items -- "Apps that store documents and data in iCloud will appear here". Some of the items say the same thing as the items in the pane on the right in the Apple ID window.

The first list shows above it, "Apps on this Mac using iCloud", and the second list shows above it, "Apps that store documents and data in iCloud will appear here".

What is the difference between these two lists? This is confusing.

Mac Pro

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 7:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 7:38 PM

Basically, both lists are showing you things that have iCloud enabled.

The first list is what you use iCloud for to sync across devices (calendar, mail, notes, stocks, etc). Think of it as storing your settings/favorites for use on all of your devices. Eg. Your stocks watchlist is the same everywhere.

The second list (options), shows the current applications that have access to store files in iCloud. Eg. Pages stores files in iCloud. I think mail is the only one that shows in both places.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2021 7:38 PM in response to madirmur59

Basically, both lists are showing you things that have iCloud enabled.

The first list is what you use iCloud for to sync across devices (calendar, mail, notes, stocks, etc). Think of it as storing your settings/favorites for use on all of your devices. Eg. Your stocks watchlist is the same everywhere.

The second list (options), shows the current applications that have access to store files in iCloud. Eg. Pages stores files in iCloud. I think mail is the only one that shows in both places.

What is the difference between list of apps that store documents and data in iCloud" in iCloud Drive window, and list of things in iCloud in System Preferences->Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.