Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LG Ultrafine 4K with M1 Monterey

When using both the M1 Max Macbook Pro display and the LG Ultrafine, the LG is quite yellow. It I turn off true tone, then it's more correct.

This never happen on my 2017 Macbook pro. My guess is the true tone in the LG is not being used to change the tone on the LG. Seems like the true tone sensor on my main Macbook pro display is adjusting the tone on the LG display as well as the m1 display.

Anyone got this to work?

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 9:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 6:30 PM

From the public info provided, there doesn't seem to be any sensors. This doesn't mean there aren't any, just that we are not aware.

If you have buttons for settings you can adjust on your display, then you might be able to adjust the yellow tint. The article provided does show that macOS adjusts True Tone when connected in the manner quoted above, and only the Apple Pro Display XDR uses it's internal sensors.

This is the available info. It would be best to reach out to LG to see how this works as they will have info on how their display works with macOS: Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Cheers.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2021 6:30 PM in response to tanrannosaurus

From the public info provided, there doesn't seem to be any sensors. This doesn't mean there aren't any, just that we are not aware.

If you have buttons for settings you can adjust on your display, then you might be able to adjust the yellow tint. The article provided does show that macOS adjusts True Tone when connected in the manner quoted above, and only the Apple Pro Display XDR uses it's internal sensors.

This is the available info. It would be best to reach out to LG to see how this works as they will have info on how their display works with macOS: Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Cheers.

Nov 12, 2021 4:42 PM in response to tanrannosaurus

Hello tanrannosaurus,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities about using True Tone. Looks like this is all expected.

As per here: Use True Tone on your Mac - Apple Support

"True Tone on external displays

True Tone can also adjust these external displays when they're connected to your iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) or Mac notebook with its lid open:

True Tone also works on Apple Pro Display XDR using its built-in ambient light sensors, when connected to any compatible Mac computer."

As per the yellow, it's adjusting colors to look more natural based on the read of the room from the sensors. If you dislike it, turning it off is your options. Thanks.

LG Ultrafine 4K with M1 Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.