Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

old ipad, old appleid, still locked out.

Hi, my daughter entered my iPad Pro password incorrectly like a year ago. And then she promptly misplaced it, I searched high and low for weeks and could not find it. I found it about a month ago, and I charged it, and it turned on and told me that the iPad was disabled, and I needed to connect it to iTunes.

I did all of that, I downloaded iTunes onto my computer, I followed all the steps to restore to factory settings. I was doing the setup when it told me that this iPad was locked so that only the user could use it. I tried to sign in with my existing AppleID that I use currently on my phone, but the iCloud account that popped up for this isn't one I can remember at all. I tried to recover and it is sending to an email address I don't recognize either.

I read stuff saying that if you cannot get ahold of the previous owner (me, but like 5 years ago when I was taking classes and got it for taking notes and a planner), and you cannot use their passcode to unlock it, you can never use the iPad again?? And I just feel like 1. while I realize I did not have the ability to use it for a year because I could not find it, that does not change that now that I have, this is far too expensive to be told that I will never be able to use it again, and 2, there has to be another way.

I have this iPad through Verizon, I did not buy it at an Apple store, and I don't know if that matters. Short of driving to an Apple store, is there ANYTHING else that I might be able to try, that I can do from home or my itunes account or literally anything?

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 12:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 7:10 AM

If you have changed your Apple ID (and by that I mean you did not create a totally different account but just changed your ID) and the device cannot connect to the Internet then it may not have gotten the messages about your new log-in information. Can it connect?

I would think Verizon is an authorized dealership, in which case Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not state what currently constitutes proof. Prior to this new online service Apple typically required the original receipt issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership).

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2021 7:10 AM in response to katmandew_1987

If you have changed your Apple ID (and by that I mean you did not create a totally different account but just changed your ID) and the device cannot connect to the Internet then it may not have gotten the messages about your new log-in information. Can it connect?

I would think Verizon is an authorized dealership, in which case Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not state what currently constitutes proof. Prior to this new online service Apple typically required the original receipt issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership).

old ipad, old appleid, still locked out.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.