Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google chat images do not display

Brand new iPhone 12. Google chat app. No images can be received, unless posted by myself. If I log into any other instance of Google chat via browser or app on another device or connection, all images can be viewed.

Notifications on the Lock Screen properly report when someone has sent an image, but it's nothing other than a line feed and no image when opening the app.

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 5:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2021 2:01 PM

So I was wrong - not afraid to admit it. How I solved this:

• Installed the ‘old’ HangOuts app on my iPad
  • It asked if I wanted to switch to Google Chat. I said YES, and Gmail app opened with the Chat icons available
  • Opened Chat (from gmail) and could see pics others had sent me
  • Opened Google Chat app - images available

So I went back to my phone and checked the gmail app - not seeing the Google Chat icons, so

• Opened the burger menu and chose Settings
  • Clicked on the account I wanted Chat to use
  • First option in the “General” section is “Chat - Show chat and spaces tab” - enabled this
  • Seventh item on my General list is “Images - Always display external images” - enabled this
  • Checked Google Chat app - tahdah! All working as expected.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2021 2:01 PM in response to PeoplesHero

So I was wrong - not afraid to admit it. How I solved this:

• Installed the ‘old’ HangOuts app on my iPad
  • It asked if I wanted to switch to Google Chat. I said YES, and Gmail app opened with the Chat icons available
  • Opened Chat (from gmail) and could see pics others had sent me
  • Opened Google Chat app - images available

So I went back to my phone and checked the gmail app - not seeing the Google Chat icons, so

• Opened the burger menu and chose Settings
  • Clicked on the account I wanted Chat to use
  • First option in the “General” section is “Chat - Show chat and spaces tab” - enabled this
  • Seventh item on my General list is “Images - Always display external images” - enabled this
  • Checked Google Chat app - tahdah! All working as expected.

Nov 12, 2021 6:08 AM in response to kb1951

Can you provide some kind of reasoning behind your suggestion?

So if the app works on any other device including the iPhone 11 I just transferred everything over from, it's still considered an app problem?

App has been reinstalled, attempted with/without cellular data enabled, etc. I've looked through every app option and iPhone option related to the app, so just looking for anyone else who might have any idea or experience with the problem.

The only common denominator I have is this brand new iPhone 12.

Thanks!

Google chat images do not display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.