Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I generate an unlock pin for my MacBook Air

How do I generate an unlock pin for my MacBook Air? I have removed it from my icloud connected devices for fear of my account being hacked

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 8:40 PM

bashir297 wrote:

Yes, I purchased it from a third party. It is MacBook Air 2020

Unfortunately, getting iCloud-locked (either this or Activation Lock) is one of the most common signs that a Mac is lost or stolen.

You should take your Mac in to local law enforcement and check whether it is lost or stolen in a police report. If the Mac is NOT lost or stolen, try the suggestions below:

• To preserve all data on the Mac and remove the lock, you will need Apple's assistance. If you have the appropriate proof of purchase, you can set up a hardware repair with an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to remove this lock, which is implemented as a firmware password. To set up a repair, contact Apple Support.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2021 8:40 PM in response to bashir297

bashir297 wrote:

Yes, I purchased it from a third party. It is MacBook Air 2020

Unfortunately, getting iCloud-locked (either this or Activation Lock) is one of the most common signs that a Mac is lost or stolen.

You should take your Mac in to local law enforcement and check whether it is lost or stolen in a police report. If the Mac is NOT lost or stolen, try the suggestions below:

• To preserve all data on the Mac and remove the lock, you will need Apple's assistance. If you have the appropriate proof of purchase, you can set up a hardware repair with an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to remove this lock, which is implemented as a firmware password. To set up a repair, contact Apple Support.

Nov 12, 2021 8:48 PM in response to bashir297

bashir297 Said:

"How do I generate an unlock pin for my MacBook Air? I have removed it from my icloud connected devices for fear of my account being hacked"

-------

Two Thinks:

A. Modifying your Credentials:

Being suspicious, consider modifying your credentials, ASAP, starting with a new password.

B. Verify the Device:

Verify that the device is still assigned to your account. If something is not yours, then remove it.  Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support

Nov 12, 2021 7:46 AM in response to bashir297

Hi bashir297,

If you were the one to lock your Mac using Find My Mac, you created the unlock pin at the time that you locked your Mac. Unfortunately, the unlock PIN is most likely gone now that you've removed it from your iCloud connected devices. (It would have been gone anyways after a short time after locking your Mac.)

What year was your MacBook Air made in? Does it have USB-C ports? Does it have the M1 chip?

If you didn't lock your Mac and the system lock pin screen appeared unexpectedly, did you purchase this Mac from a third party?

How do I generate an unlock pin for my MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.