Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K 2nd Gen Dolby Atmos Intermittent Issues

I have a 4K 2nd Gen (2021) Apple TV, on latest update, connected directly to a Denon AVR-X4500H (speaker setup is 5.2.4). I have had the Apple TV since launch. I have had no issues playing Dolby Atmos, but this week I noticed when playing Dolby Atmos content on Netflix or from my Apple Library, the Dolby Atmos displays on the receiver, it works fine and then intermittently pops out of random speakers, makes a buzzing noise or just cuts over to DD Surround but no sound. Then it switches back to Dolby Atmos after 10-30 seconds. I've tried changing the HDMI cable, changing ports on the receiver, HDMI Connection Test, restarting the Apple TV, etc. Again, it happens randomly. Should I roll back to a previous sw update? Or is there a known hardware issue with the Apple TV ? I've seen similar complaints on other forums with the Marantz/Denon.

Yes, I have checked other media streamers that do Dolby Atmos (Xbox Series X) and they play fine.

Apple TV HD, tvOS 10

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 8:16 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 13, 2021 10:35 AM in response to Cpanthers85

Hi Cpanthers85,

It looks like you're having trouble with Dolby Atmos inconsistently dropping when in use with your receiver and Apple TV.

To aid us in isolating this, can you clarify the following?

• Did this issue specifically begin after the latest Apple TV update? Was there also any firmware update for the receiver?
  • While the issue appears random, are you able to replicate it once it happens? For example, does it always cut out on a specific movie or show?
  • Have you recently changed out or had to replace any other cables in your setup prior to the issue occurring?

Also, take a look over the tips here for Dolby Atmos from your Apple TV:

Let us know and we'll continue from there.

Take care.

Nov 16, 2021 5:19 PM in response to DerekM87

Thanks for the reply. It started happening after the update to 15.1.1. There has been no recent updates to the receiver and I only tried switching cables out to see if the cable was the issue, but I have since reverted back to the original HDMI 2.1 Cable (should note that my Denon AVR X4500H only supports HDMI 2.0b).

The issue is occurring with Netflix and the Apple Library. Those are the only Dolby Atmos sources I have on the Apple TV. I have tried multiple movies/shows in both my Apple library and Netflix. It happens randomly in any Dolby Atmos enabled content in both the Apple Library and Netflix.

A few examples:

1) In the movie 1917, which I streamed from my Apple Library, I didn't even get 2 minutes into the movie and it started popping and buzzing.

• It should be noted that I watched 1917 in July on my Apple TV via my Apple Library in Dolby Atmos and I had 0 issues. It was a fantastic experience!

2) In Netflix, I was watching Narcos Mexico and it would happen intermittently throughout the show. A few times I rewound the scenes that did it, and it played it back perfectly only to have the issue appear later on in the same episode.

I haven't been able to recognize a pattern that would allow me to recreate it.

Nov 20, 2021 10:00 AM in response to Cpanthers85

Cpanthers85,

Thanks for the additional details.

tvOS 15.1.1 would be the latest version, so you're fully updated there. As to the issue, given it is intermittent but appears to be working properly in some apps but not others, can you confirm if the problem persists in Netflix or via the TV app.

If it does, from here we'd recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly for additional assistance. You can see contact options below:

Take care.

Apple TV 4K 2nd Gen Dolby Atmos Intermittent Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.