Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't select files in file selection windows

Whenever I need to select files to upload or to select a download destination I can't click on anything inside the file selection window with my mouse, all I can do is either hit "enter" or "esc" on my keyboard. The problem usually fixes itself after I restart the computer, but then soon returns, and it happens in Safari, Chrome, Notion, and I assume everything else.

Sometimes I also can't click on buttons in system preferences, and it seems to happen at the same time as the file selection problem. I'm on Big Sur 11.6 (Apple is listing the wrong computer below).

Thank you!

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 10:10 AM

Check to see if the problem occurs:

a) In Safe Mode;

b) booted normally, and logged in to a new user account.

Tell us, and also Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Similar questions

9 replies

Nov 13, 2021 2:55 AM in response to saltag06

Adware:

Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.spigot.ApplicationManager.plist

Executable: ~/Library/Application Support/Spigot/ApplicationManager --protect

Reason: Adware name match

Should “ Certain & Specific Software “ referenced from above be installed - it will negatively impact macOS. It is suggested, to download directly from a respected ASC Contributor, the application Malwarebytes for Mac

It is free or paid for added features. 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with nor receive compensation from the Developer.

Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

DrCleaner.app Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.bittorrent.BitTorrent.plist

Executable: /Applications/BitTorrent.app IMHO a possibly Dangerous Source of Adware and Malware

Nov 23, 2021 3:41 AM in response to saltag06

Looking at the Supplied Report - do not suggest this radical step too often. Because here are so many Modifications and Extensions installed - to clean it up would be a Major Undertaking to put things right.

Suggestion and Personally - would wipe the drive and reinstall the OS. Then reinstall third party applications that are absolutely Required to function. Plus, would Not use Time Machine Backup to Restore anything as this would just restore the same issues again.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed that could be adware and should be reviewed.

Configuration Files: /etc/hosts - Count: 16

System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

x86-only Apps - This computer has x86-only apps might not work on future versions of the operating system.

Kernel extensions present - This computer has kernel extensions that may not work in the future.

System Extensions: there are so many Extensions installed and they may a source of issues

Nov 23, 2021 8:13 AM in response to saltag06

This system seems to have been upgraded in place for many years - there is an install from 2013.

You have so many system modifications, several of them a few years old.

At this point, I do believe that a clean install is recommended.

If you don't feel up to it, try installing a clean system on an external SSD and see how the system behaves. I expect it will work all right.

Can't select files in file selection windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.