Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone storage discrepancy when transferring to new iPhone

Help! I just purchased the iPhone 13 pro max 256 a few days ago. I transferred all my info from my old iPhone (8 Plus 256). I went with the same size because my old phone showed a huge amount of storage left. Now that everything is transferred, it appears that the new iPhone is near full! Aside from a few extra photos, and one new app, I’ve not down loaded anything. I’m not understanding the discrepancy. Here are some screen shots of both my devices as of current.

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2021 6:14 PM

Are you using iCloud Photos? I am guessing you do (at least on the iPhone 8) and your high resolution photos are stored in the cloud and low resolution versions are on your iPhone 8. If so, make sure you turn on iCloud Photos on your new iPhone and enable the Optimize storage option. See the 'If you need more device storage' section in:

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2021 6:14 PM in response to Ozzykris

Are you using iCloud Photos? I am guessing you do (at least on the iPhone 8) and your high resolution photos are stored in the cloud and low resolution versions are on your iPhone 8. If so, make sure you turn on iCloud Photos on your new iPhone and enable the Optimize storage option. See the 'If you need more device storage' section in:

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

iPhone storage discrepancy when transferring to new iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.