Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro M1Pro (end 2021) wifi issue

I have the MacBook Pro M1Pro 14" running Monterey 12.0.1.

These are my data from my current AP at home.

From the beginning I experience 3 issues:

• After taking back my Mac to life it takes long to find all APs
  • After choosing an AP it takes long to get connected
  • I frequently get disconnected from the AP

This happens at home, at a friends home and in the office. Others who are in the exact same room and are connected to the exact same AP don't get connected with their laptops. I never experienced it with my old MacBook Pro that I used until a month ago.

So it's not the routers or the APs or whatever. It's my brand new MacBook Pro M1Pro!

Diagnostics says I'm fine. My speedtest is Ok. So what's wrong with my antenna or my receiver? Or perhaps with Monterey?

I have become a laughing stock for my colleagues when I'm presenting through Teams and get disconnected every time. I've paid too much for this device for this to be happening....

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2021 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2021 9:03 AM

You are using Wi-Fi-6, 802.11ac to make a connection on channel 48 the 5GHz band.

Your raw signal strength is -80dB and noise is a very typical -88 dB. this leaves a signal-to-noise of only 8 db, extremely bad. (you would like to see 25 or higher).

You are too far from your Router, or the line-of-sight is obstructed by building materials, or you have a hardware issue.

If you move your computer to within a few feet of the Router in direct line-of-sight, you should see raw signal RSSI improve to (closer to zero that) -50 dB. If this does not happen, you may have disconnected antennas or a different hardware issue.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2021 9:03 AM in response to Hond70

You are using Wi-Fi-6, 802.11ac to make a connection on channel 48 the 5GHz band.

Your raw signal strength is -80dB and noise is a very typical -88 dB. this leaves a signal-to-noise of only 8 db, extremely bad. (you would like to see 25 or higher).

You are too far from your Router, or the line-of-sight is obstructed by building materials, or you have a hardware issue.

If you move your computer to within a few feet of the Router in direct line-of-sight, you should see raw signal RSSI improve to (closer to zero that) -50 dB. If this does not happen, you may have disconnected antennas or a different hardware issue.

Nov 15, 2021 11:45 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

If this was the solution I wouldn't post my issue. I created this post first on https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252564061?page=6. Then the moderator said there where too many posts on wifi issues with MacBook Pro Apple silicon.

So there is a real problem here.

I have three laptops: a new Windows 10 corporate laptop, my old MacBook Pro late 2013 and my new MacBook Pro M1Pro. The first two laptops never gave me wifi problems on exactly the same locations described above.

The screenshot above is taken 3 meters from an AP. There is only a wooden door blocking eyesight. So that's not the problem.

When I'm sitting next to the router I experience the same issues.

Nov 16, 2021 5:57 AM in response to Hond70

"You are too far from your Router, or

the line-of-sight is obstructed by building materials, or

you have a hardware issue.

You eliminated the first two, leaving only the third, Hardware issue.

Either your antenna leads are disconnected at the mainboard, or the mainboard is defective.

If the mainboard cannot be fixed on the spot by reconnecting disconnected antenna leads, you will have to submit it for service, and the mainboard will be replaced. You will NOT be getting your same Drive back in this case, and all your files will be GONE.

You MUST have a Trusted backup before you go to The Apple Store or Apple-Authorized Service Provider. If you need help making one (or two), just post back and I or other Readers can help you with that.

Get Support

MacBook Pro M1Pro (end 2021) wifi issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.