Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I drag and open a file within Finder or the Sidebar?

The OS is only letting me drag into a folder. I used to be able to hover a selected file on top of a filepath and Finder would open the folder. Pictures are to illustrate what I'm talking about.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 13, 2021 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 1:28 PM

I have no idea, then. I cannot replicate it. Spring loading of folders works perfectly fine on my Macs.

In order to see if the problem is systemwide, start up in safe mode and see if it still happens. You can try in another user account, too. But, you’ll need to enable spring loading in those accounts.

4 replies

Nov 19, 2021 10:23 AM in response to Barney-15E

I tried it with spring loading delay shortened all the way and disabled. I still can't drag and hover a file on top of the Finder Filepath to automatically open that folder. It only lets me drag and drop into that folder. I'd like to be able to hover on top of a file, open that file and be able to drag a file to the top of the folder hierarchy.

I swore this feature was available in an earlier version of the OS. Did something change?

How do I drag and open a file within Finder or the Sidebar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.