Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey Won't Play Videos in Photo

After upgrading to Monterey on my MacBook 13 Pro (2020), many of my videos in Photo won't play. Also, I cannot export these videos out of photos. Does Anyone else have this issue? Is there a fix?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2021 5:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 11:56 AM

For the videos that do not play at all, try to use "File > Export > Export unmodified original" and save the video to a folder.

Then try, if you can play the video with the QuickTime Player.

If QuickTime Player can play it, delete the version in iPhoto and try to reimport the video. Does it now play correctly?

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2021 11:56 AM in response to justaglo

For the videos that do not play at all, try to use "File > Export > Export unmodified original" and save the video to a folder.

Then try, if you can play the video with the QuickTime Player.

If QuickTime Player can play it, delete the version in iPhoto and try to reimport the video. Does it now play correctly?

Nov 14, 2021 10:38 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you for responding. On some of the videos (some play), a blank small white "ball" appears in the bottom right corner of the video, the ball disappears and the normal arrow to play the video appears. However, after clicking the arrow nothing happens. I merely have a photograph. The format is .MOV and they were captured on iPhone 6 and iPhone XS. Now I'm shooting on iPhone 12 and those videos play with no problem. I do use Cloud Photos. Any of my GoPro Black Hero 8 videos don't work at all. But I don't really need those in Photos anyway. Sync status says "Updated just now". Newer movies in iMovie also disappeared. Fortunately, I did full backups before upgrading, but both my desktop and laptop are now running Monterey. I have an older imac though, so I'm going to recover them from my backup. I'm grateful for ANY insight and help. Thank you.

Dec 11, 2021 6:33 AM in response to TinkerTots

Even for a single selected file? What is the error message you get, when the export is failing?

If you even not export the original file, Photos cannot access the original. It may be a permission problem, the file may be missing, the library may be damaged or on an incompatible volume, or Photos cannot download the file from iCloud.

Dec 18, 2021 10:37 AM in response to TinkerTots

I contacted Apple Support to inquire about this problem (unable to export any files, movies or photos, from the Apple Photo Library (in icloud).

The support person checked some things and could not find anything glaringly amiss. So, he suggested a workaround, which did work. He had me toggle off the "Optimize Mac Storage" setting in the Apple Photos.app's settings.

Of course, I had to wait over 8 hours for the painfully SLOW Apple process to download all the full resolution photos to my Mac Book Pro's internal drive (luckily I had enough spare room to do this).

After that long wait, I again tried to export photos and movies. To my surprise, the tech support's workaround WORKED! Now, I was once again able to successfully export photos and movies at lightning speed.

ASIDE. IMHO, something is terribly wrong with Apple's iCloud service. The downloads of those high-resolution photo files to my internal drive proceeded at a "snail's" pace (averaging only a few kilobits/second!). Meanwhile, running internet speed tests at the same time, showed my down load speeds above 900 megabits/second (as you'd expect for my gigabit service via Comcast). Also, running other applications showed that my Internet speed was fast. Yet, the Apple Photos.app process of downloading thousands of high-resolution photos only moved at a turtle's pace.

Monterey Won't Play Videos in Photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.