Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook's keyboard lags during password input

I have an early 2015 MBP retina, currently running Big Sur 11.6. Since I upgraded to this OS version, the laptop's keyboard lags while I enter my user password during start up, thus it's not able to read the whole input of the password. I have to enter it very slowly so I can proceed. Then it takes almost 2 minutes to log in. What's the solution for this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 9:46 AM

chinchillas wrote:

I have an early 2015 MBP retina, currently running Big Sur 11.6. Since I upgraded to this OS version, the laptop's keyboard lags while I enter my user password during start up, thus it's not able to read the whole input of the password. I have to enter it very slowly so I can proceed. Then it takes almost 2 minutes to log in. What's the solution for this?

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2021 9:46 AM in response to chinchillas

chinchillas wrote:

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Dec 1, 2021 1:17 PM in response to chinchillas

I tried SafeBoot, deleted the app that loaded during start up (a fan software), but I still have that log in issue of the keyboard. I also repaired the disk via Disk Utility. Problem persists, plus it takes a whole minute to log in. I don't have any extra items interfering during this process. System Preferences / User & Groups / My User / Login Items is empty. I don't know what else todo :(

Macbook's keyboard lags during password input

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.