Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my imac cannot be turned , the screen is frozen and stay that way. I tried to shut down the power and on again. same problem

My iMacs cannot be turned on , the screen is frozen with only the Apple logo. I tried to power off and on again but doesn’t work and the problem is the same. Help!

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 1:33 PM

Have you tried starting in safe mode?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201262

6 replies

Dec 8, 2021 2:05 PM in response to michaelckng

I've been facing the same problem, iMac-24 boots but the screen appears frozen. It won't accept input from wired or wireless mouse or keyboard. I've been able to get to respond in safe mode sometimes but the problem seems to be time related. If I just give the iMac enough time it will eventually respond. Sometimes it takes a few seconds, other times I've let it run for minutes and suddenly it responds.

I tried many things to try to isolate the problem; unplugging peripherals and attached devices, starting in safe mode, turning off remote volume connections, etc. I can't say that Safe mode has been more successful than just waiting. I'm still working on trying to isolate this but I wanted to acknowledge that michaelkng isn't alone in seeing this. Very frustrating to have to do this dance every time I reboot or start the iMac.

Dec 8, 2021 4:18 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I've recently updated the utilities to connect to my Synology NAS and MS OneDrive. I tested by disabling them, thinking it might be a networking handshake or connection problem. I got the same results. I have a Dell display I've now disconnected and it didn't make a difference. I unplugged the Thunderbolt and USB docs I had connected and took the machine down to bare stock out-of-the-box settings but still see the problem.

The iMac is configured much like my 14" MacBook Pro and M1 mini and they don't exhibit this behavior (screen freeze at startup). I don't run a lot of third party apps, avoid anti-virus or other apps that lurk in the background. This seems unique to the 24" M1 iMac.

I'm still trying to isolate the problem, backtracking at what I was doing when this all started. I'll post as I try more options.

I'm about to wipe the disk and reinstall but I didn't want to go there if this is a known problem others have seen and solved.

my imac cannot be turned , the screen is frozen and stay that way. I tried to shut down the power and on again. same problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.