Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to reformat a partitioned hard drive for Catalina

Running Sierra on a late 2013 27" iMac. Wanted to try Catalina, so partitioned the IHD with plenty of room. Installed Catalina on the second partition. No problems and the basic Catalina and Sierra both worked well. When I started to add photos in an EHD to Catalina, developed a problem that led to the Catalina partition becoming corrupted. Ran First Aid without success, corruption remained.

Went into Recovery mode to reformat the partition, only to find that the Catalina partition is not found in Disk Utility and not found in the Recovery Disk Utility. The partition map shows the partition, but the information says Name is "Unformatted", and the Format is "Unknown". They are greyed out and non-responsive.

How can I bring the IHD Partition back to life? Thank you.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 5:37 PM

steve626 wrote:

I think it is problematic to add a Catalina boot partition to an existing Sierra boot drive. The reason being that Sierra does not recognize APFS (it only recognizes HFS+),

macOS 10.12.6 Sierra is able to recognize an APFS volume, however, any older version of macOS 10.12.6, 10.13, and even 10.14 will have trouble understanding the layout of APFS volumes associated with macOS 10.15+. Even macOS 10.15 will have trouble understanding the Big Sur drive layout even though it is similar to Catalina's layout.

Users should not use an old version of Disk Utility when dealing with volumes/partitions created by newer versions of macOS since old versions of Disk Utility will not have a complete understanding of the new volume features. Just because macOS can recognize a newer file system/volume, does not mean all the other macOS utilities like Disk Utility have been properly updated.

In theory it should be possible to boot into the installer for the most recent version of macOS installer compatible with a Mac by using Command + Option + R which for a late 2013 iMac should be Big Sur, but a bootable macOS USB installer is the safest more reliable option.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2021 5:37 PM in response to steve626

steve626 wrote:

I think it is problematic to add a Catalina boot partition to an existing Sierra boot drive. The reason being that Sierra does not recognize APFS (it only recognizes HFS+),

macOS 10.12.6 Sierra is able to recognize an APFS volume, however, any older version of macOS 10.12.6, 10.13, and even 10.14 will have trouble understanding the layout of APFS volumes associated with macOS 10.15+. Even macOS 10.15 will have trouble understanding the Big Sur drive layout even though it is similar to Catalina's layout.

Users should not use an old version of Disk Utility when dealing with volumes/partitions created by newer versions of macOS since old versions of Disk Utility will not have a complete understanding of the new volume features. Just because macOS can recognize a newer file system/volume, does not mean all the other macOS utilities like Disk Utility have been properly updated.

In theory it should be possible to boot into the installer for the most recent version of macOS installer compatible with a Mac by using Command + Option + R which for a late 2013 iMac should be Big Sur, but a bootable macOS USB installer is the safest more reliable option.

Nov 15, 2021 8:50 AM in response to elkriverken

Think possible solution is to Create a  Bootable Installer of Catalina.

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

Thereafter - do what needs to be done.

Nov 15, 2021 6:39 PM in response to HWTech

To Steve626, P Phillips & HWTech. Thank you all for your input. I digested it all and put together a solution that solved my problem. It contained elements from all of you.

1. I had already copied the Catalina installation program onto an EHD SSD, but ending up not using it because I couldn't boot to it without removing all of my other EHDs. Therefore I moved on to partitioning my IHD which ultimately led to my problems stated earlier.
  2. I used my Catalina EHD to bring up Catalina. Went to Disk Utility on the IHD, in Catalina, to Partition. Here I was able to reformat the partition to APFS, named Catalina.
  3. I downloaded the Catalina installation from the App Store into Applications.
  4. I installed Catalina onto the Catalina Partition of the IHD.
  5. Now back in business. And all is well.
  6. BTW, the original Sierra remains undisturbed and well.

Thanks to all of you.

Ken S.

Nov 14, 2021 10:17 PM in response to elkriverken

Is it possible that the Recovery Partition is still a Sierra Recovery Partition? If so, it won't recognize APFS and it might try to repair the APFS volume as appearing to it as "corrupted" with possibly disastrous results.

And what is that "edrive" on there -- is that a TechTool Pro third party recovery partition? Which recovery partition did you boot into? If it is a Sierra recovery partition, it won't handle APFS properly or even recognize APFS volumes properly.

Nov 15, 2021 6:59 AM in response to steve626

As Sierra OS is the only program working, I did enter Recovery through Sierra. Regarding the "edrive", I just thought it was a part of Sierra, and ignored it. Upon researching it, yes, it is within my TechTool Pro tools. I have always ignored it, and never set it up or used it, unless it was part of a complete search and repair.

Could I remove the 2nd partition from the IHD without disturbing the main 1st partition containing Sierra? I do have Sierra backed up if needed. I'd like to get the IHD back to normal, then as I did before; install High Sierra (for the APFS) on a 2nd partition, and install Catalina over High Sierra. That worked originally.

I appreciate your help and recommendations.

Nov 15, 2021 1:51 PM in response to elkriverken

I think it is problematic to add a Catalina boot partition to an existing Sierra boot drive. The reason being that Sierra does not recognize APFS (it only recognizes HFS+), but the Catalina boot partition must be APFS. So when you boot into Recovery for any reason, it will be Sierra Recovery (unless you can devise some trick to make and boot into a Catalina recovery partition), and Disk Utility in the (Sierra) recovery partition cannot recognize or understand the APFS Catalina partition. This means it will show it as "unknown" or "corrupt" when it might be fine.

I once asked the creator of SuperDuper about this and he recommended that the APFS boot partition (Catalina in your instance) be on a separate physical drive, e.g. as suggested to you by P. Phillips in their post that also provided instructions for how to go about this. In other words, keep your entire internal physical drive HFS+ (presumably Sierra), and create an external separate physical boot drive for your Catalina system. Basically what P. Phillips suggested. If you try again to have one internal drive partition for Sierra (HFS+) and another one for Catalina (APFS), whenever you boot into Recovery it will be the Sierra Recovery which will not recognize the APFS partition. There may be other unintended consequences down the road as well.

If someone here knows how to change your internal drive so it has a Recovery Partition that is Catalina, not its original Sierra, maybe he/she could pipe up here and explain how to do this. I don't know how myself without completely wiping the physical drive. If there is a way to create a Catalina Recovery Partition, that would for you work because Disk Utility under Catalina can reformat, repair etc. both HFS+ and APFS drives, but Disk Utility under Sierra can only work with HFS+.

Unable to reformat a partitioned hard drive for Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.