Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud vs iCloud Drive

I purchased 2 TB of storage space on iCloud. The files I need to store are document-heavy/work related. I was under the impression the iCloud Drive was simply a way to access my iCloud documents quicker. I realize now that it can only store as much as my MacBook has available. Now, I'm confused as to how to make use of the space I actually purchased. I want to move some files from iCloud Drive to the umbrella iCloud storage, but can't figure out how to do so.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2021 1:06 PM

There is no "umbrella iCloud storage." iCloud Drive and iCloud Photos are the major iCloud syncing services and the emphasis in those services is syncing.

re: "I realize now that it can only store as much as my MacBook has available." -- that isn't accurate. On your Mac go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud (in the preferences sidebar) > Optimize Mac Storage.

There is a similar option for iCloud Photos in the Photos app at Photos Preferences > iCloud.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2021 1:06 PM in response to sara.lenz26

There is no "umbrella iCloud storage." iCloud Drive and iCloud Photos are the major iCloud syncing services and the emphasis in those services is syncing.

re: "I realize now that it can only store as much as my MacBook has available." -- that isn't accurate. On your Mac go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud (in the preferences sidebar) > Optimize Mac Storage.

There is a similar option for iCloud Photos in the Photos app at Photos Preferences > iCloud.

Nov 14, 2021 1:02 PM in response to sara.lenz26

Drive is just one component of iCloud (photos, notes, and system settings all use iCloud). iCloud is a synchronization service so files that you have on one device are accessible by all of your Apple devices. If you are syncing one device or a small number of files, you won't likely need 2TB. If you are backing up a lot of files, and multiple devices, leveraging iCloud photos, etc. then you'll probably need the space.

iCloud vs iCloud Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.