iCloud storage

I'd like to move ALL of my docs/files from iCloud storage to my mac mini ONLY! How can I do that to free up storage space? Also, I'd like to know how to know how to pick and choose what I want iCloud to save if that's possible. Please help!!!!!!

Mac mini, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 7:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 7:57 AM

Dirtydurden wrote:

I'd like to move ALL of my docs/files from iCloud storage to my mac mini ONLY! How can I do that to free up storage space?

That will depend on exactly what you have set up for iCloud. If you have turned on Desktop & Documents in System Settings ➜ Apple ID ➜ iCloud ➜ iCloud Drive ➜ Desktop & Documents then it will sync those folders to iCloud. You can turn off the option so it stops doing that. With that option turned off, anything not in the iCloud Drive location in Finder will not be uploaded and synced to iCloud.

Once turned off, you can manually delete there files from iCloud to make room and it will not affect the local copies on your Mac.

If you don't have that option turned on, then simply don't save documents in the iCloud Drive section in Finder

Also, I'd like to know how to know how to pick and choose what I want iCloud to save if that's possible. Please help!!!!!!

With the Desktop & Documents option turned off, you can manually move files and docs to the iCloud Drive location in Finder and only those will sync to iCloud. They will retain a local copy on your Mac still though.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2023 7:57 AM in response to Dirtydurden

Dirtydurden wrote:

I'd like to move ALL of my docs/files from iCloud storage to my mac mini ONLY! How can I do that to free up storage space?

That will depend on exactly what you have set up for iCloud. If you have turned on Desktop & Documents in System Settings ➜ Apple ID ➜ iCloud ➜ iCloud Drive ➜ Desktop & Documents then it will sync those folders to iCloud. You can turn off the option so it stops doing that. With that option turned off, anything not in the iCloud Drive location in Finder will not be uploaded and synced to iCloud.

Once turned off, you can manually delete there files from iCloud to make room and it will not affect the local copies on your Mac.

If you don't have that option turned on, then simply don't save documents in the iCloud Drive section in Finder

Also, I'd like to know how to know how to pick and choose what I want iCloud to save if that's possible. Please help!!!!!!

With the Desktop & Documents option turned off, you can manually move files and docs to the iCloud Drive location in Finder and only those will sync to iCloud. They will retain a local copy on your Mac still though.

iCloud storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.